• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that AE is actually using a different rubber toplift now, at least this is the case with my Patriots. Not sure if you have noticed the same.
That's correct. that the heel stack is leather and the toplift is rubber.
It may be the heel stack that is the issue then. AE can't be faulted for the toplift on your Daltons since they are JRs.

I have noticed that. I'm not as big of a fan of it from an appearance standpoint. I wonder if it may be a tad softer though.

Last edited:

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

This is just silly. There is absolutely no comparison in the amount of traction given by well broken-in leather soles (with or without taps) and a shoe or boot with a lugged rubber sole.

exactly. i couldn't even comment that response was so wrong.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a retailer currently selling cigar and/or whiskey NSTs on a last other than Barrie? Thanks.

SLAB

Reaction score
no monster commando sole but a Victory sole (adjusted to half sole); my Roy's will be my stomping boots again for the foreseeable future; Because of the new soles they feel and look a lot more sturdier (and dare I say massive); look is similar to Red Wing Beckman but without the huge toe bump. I really like the 'antique' finish. Thanks again Shoehealer!

IMG_3927 by SLAB13, on Flickr

IMG_3928 by SLAB13, on Flickr

IMG_3929 by SLAB13, on Flickr

IMG_3930 by SLAB13, on Flickr

IMG_3931 by SLAB13, on Flickr

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no monster commando sole but a Victory sole (adjusted to half sole); my Roy's will be my stomping boots again for the foreseeable future; Because of the new soles they feel and look a lot more sturdier (and dare I say massive); look is similar to Red Wing Beckman but without the huge toe bump. I really like the 'antique' finish. Thanks again Shoehealer!

IMG_3927 by SLAB13, on Flickr

IMG_3928 by SLAB13, on Flickr

IMG_3929 by SLAB13, on Flickr

IMG_3930 by SLAB13, on Flickr

IMG_3931 by SLAB13, on Flickr

A wonderful job. Nicely done my friend.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a retailer currently selling cigar and/or whiskey NSTs on a last other than Barrie? Thanks.[/qu

IIRC Alden NYC had a cigar nst on the Aberdeen last but that was back when I ordered my cigar Indy boot probably about two months back.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to thank the member who advised me about the 6 eyelet chukka from jgilbertfootwear , and in the plaza last what? Jackpot!!! The days will drag on until they are ready for production, but yenni added me to the list and life is good.

Gcbrown3

Reaction score
I always go on Ebay and look in men's shoes under cordovan see if there's some hidden gem. I had the 721 and it was well made and a beautiful color shell. That being said it's a workboot. If wish that all of my RRL workbooks were in shell. I wish that all of my Viberg service boots were in shell

I've sort of been converted over to cordovan over the years and whether it's a boat shoe or a chukka or a balmoral or a LWB or a sneaker (joke), it's always more fun in cordovan. If a $750 workbook in cordovan is now $530; I'll pass it along so that if it helps one person; at least it helped somebody.

It's a little crazy that I throw a bone out there and immediately it becomes a contest between my post and some Alden. Wolverine Cordovan made by Allen Edmonds are not as nice as most Alden shell offerings. At the same time, there would be no PSA if these things were being sold for list.

The point was that they are 30% off. I like a lot of Alden's, but some I would never pay list for many of them. I like the Wolverine 744, but would never pay $750 for it.

Alden's are up there with my favorite shoes. Wolverine makes workbooks and this particular workbook, one which is carried by Leffot and other specialty retailers, is now $530 down from $750. If you like it, great. If not, also great.

If everybody dropped PSA's for hidden gems (like the one that I made for the J.Crew Ravello LWB with gold eyelets or, just a couple days ago for the Ravello Cap Toe Jumper Boot or the one that I read about the Viberg/Leffot service boot in shell #8), this forum would be so much better....IMO

positive vibrations......I'n'I vibration yeah!

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
j crew boots today

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just realized that I haven't bought any footwear for three months!  Although I did put a deposit down on an MTO recently.  This is the longest dry spell for I think a couple of years.  The itch is returning stronger than ever.  But I'm a much pickier and discerning shopper now.

This is where I've come, though I just splurged twice (soon to be a third) for my birthday. Plan on stopping soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads