1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sashae

sashae Senior member

Yeah, I'm a fan of the PTBs as well, but those SWBs are fantastic, and SWBs in general are not a terribly common make.

2. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I would go with the navy cxl. Unless you are in an always-sunny climate, there will be entire seasons and may days you cannot wear the navy suede. And you cannot see the broguing all that well in the navy suede so you lose some of the impact of the design. The navy cxl has a particularly rich color, it is versatile --goes with kakhis, jeans,cords of a variety of colors and the cxl is a hardy leather -- wears very well. That particularly make-up, with the contrasting tan welt and stitching and the brass eyelets, I think enhances its versatility and its good looks. ome prefer the more muted look, so only you can decide what is for you.

3. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I have used black polish on non-black calfskin for years with great results. Whenever I have tried it on shell it seems to result in a less than optimal shine.

4. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

That may be the nicest suede alden shoe I've seen. Checks all the key boxes. Goes nicely with khakis and jeans, light welt, short-wings. Easy call for me.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

LS Ultimate Jumper Boot in brown CXL, heading out for some apple picking and freshly made, piping hot cider donuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't worn these yet this season after purchasing in the spring via B&S. Threw on a coat of VSC last week.

3 people like this.
  6. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

This needs to go in the official quote bank. No matter how old you are Sir, you are wise beyond your years.

7. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I do like navy CXL, but not that specific make-up. Out of the two, SWB all day

8. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Very nice look there. And damnit if I don't miss fall in Massachusetts.

9. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

what about the blue suede monk strap at LS? I haven't read much discussion about it, nor has anyone posted any personal photos of it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Those are on sale for around $400 at LS. They had a 10.5 as of Thursday. Plus display (8?). Also had the plaza blue suede and snuff munk on sale.

11. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

RTP, how hot is hot? Extreme temperature variation isn't good for cotton, wool, plastic, wine, beer, and it can't be good for calf or shell cordovan. At a minimum it seems that extreme heat could dry out leather faster than cooler, steadier temps. You have a tidy sum invested in footwear, so I'd suggest proceeding accordingly.

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Honey Pot Hill?

1 person likes this.
  13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

LS damage report.

[​IMG]

Suede munks
    [​IMG]

Plaza wingtips.
    [​IMG]

John Lobbs
    [​IMG]

14. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Those are all ridiculous pick ups ZIPPYH! They're all stunning. Those plaza boots are very special.

My question is: How are you going to fit all of those shoes in the hotel safe?

I wasn't a shoe nut last time I was in Hawaii. I do remember walking past the LS store there in Waikiki.

15. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

The suede monks - I've been thinking about those shoes for a couple of weeks. They look great! How do you like them so far?

16. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

That was the first time I've worn any of those outside of LS. :)
    So a bit early for impressions!

17. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You need to come back here and buy moar shooz.

18. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

:)

Russel Orchards in Ipswich.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  19. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I thought LS was sold out of the Plaza wingtip boots. Not so?

Are those blue suede SWB on Barrie?

20. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I know we were talking about "try-on" shoes before to avoid creasing... At the J Crew Ludlow shop, it looks like they have one pair of cordovan longwings in every size for guys tp try on (I used a pair to try on a pair of pants that needed hemming).

On a somewhat unrelated note it's actually pretty amazing how many guys are in that store buying suits and tuxedos on a daily basis. Never thought J Crew would have a decent suit business but they appear to have one, at least at that location

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.