• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

When I read Steven's (Leffot's) description about Atoms, I thought it's good but I swear, these Atoms not just simply amazing looking and versatile as there is no tomorrow but so comfortable it's hard to believe. I'm planning to wear them casually with denim and with a bit formal trousers as well.

The price of $710 is high and most likely will climb as Alden seems to increase every year but I forgot already what I paid for these.:nodding:

Tremont last is exactly what I needed and thanks for all your sizing advice, fits like a glove! I have two more boots from LS on pre-order so will be on tight budget for the next few months. Mac method starts this weekend.

Last edited:

Dr. D

Reaction score
Got an email from Kathy in DC and their order of color 8 unlined PTBs have arrived. Just a few dollars more than stock 990s and these come with a flex sole so they should be extra comfortable.

I have been hunting for these for over a year and wanted to say thanks to DCRoyal for posting about them in this thread recently.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL Marlow is definitely on the chunky side with its double leather sole, but it's wearable with a suit and the heavier profile makes it easier to wear with jeans in a more casual style. Marlow is less "blobby" in my eyes than Barrie.

Quote:
Quote: 1) The construction seems superior to me. I've worn it pretty heavily for over two years, no loose threading, the sole is wearing extremely hard, easy to maintain, etc
2) The last is slightly sleeker than Barrie - it is very versatile and can be worn with a suit or jeans.
3) The shoe goes on sale a few times a year
4) Great color that is not necessarily found in the standard Alden lineup
5) Wingtip / "shortwing" blucher pattern - Alden doesn't stock this pattern that often

The one downside is that Marlow cordovan is more difficult to shine than Alden - Alden seems to infuse its shell with more dye/oils.

Quote:
Quote: Not worth paying the full $850 IMO. The Marlows typically go on sale 1x-2x per year. I picked mine up a few months back 30% off. Everyone's experience is different but my pair has an extremely dull finish compared to my Alden and AE shells. Nonetheless, its a great shoe; very versatile.

Quote: There is little to know difference in "build quality" between Alden and CJ. CJ finishes their shoes just slightly nicer in their bench grade (which the Darlton is). The handgrades are indeed "nicer" than Alden, though I have yet to love the aesthetic coming out of CJ. Too "sleek" for me.

I'll take cigar LWB over the Darlton all day every day.

If you love Alden but want to consider moving "on or up" from them, check out Carmina or Vass.

I think the Marlow maybe finished better than most Aldens, but not sure it's put together much better. As for clunkiness/blobby... the double leather sole makes it looker even thicker with the more sleek last. In order of blobby to least blobby... barrie, tremont, Marlow (hands-down). Without having seen the cigar atom in person, I'd say the Marlows are far and away dressier. The antique edge and a bigger, rounder last makes it less dressy, imho.

I got these for about $450 brand new, so I don't consider it "going up and onward from Alden (just different)...

As far as a comparison to cigar and ravello LWBs, they are darker than my cigars and even darker than my ravello. As a last point of comparison, all of my Aldens are considerably more comfortable than the Marlow.

Has anyone on this thread gone with the Carmina shortwing in saddle shell (similar to whiskey)? Just curious if it would actually be "moving up and on" from Alden. Thanks...

Last edited:

phorm

Reaction score

Any sizing info between Marlow and Barrie last.

Marlow runs a bit large, but not as large as the Barrie. I wear an 8D in both the Marlow and Barrie, but some people end up TTS in the Marlow. I ordered both an 8 and an 8.5 and kept the pair that fit better when shopping for the Marlow.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go 10D Barrie and 10D Marlow, but have heard similar accounts of others going tts. I'd try them and compair if possible

Organika

Reaction score
I know we have some really knowledgeable posters about shoe construction who might help satisfy my curiosity, and it's really nothing but plain curiosity.

What causes some shoes/boots to be really loud when walking and others not so much? Like my chunky Alden boots are not that noisy at all (double-leather or water-lock soles and leather heels with dovetail rubber). But my AE Daltons and even my Strand shoes are incredibly noisy.

I agree with DpprDr. You can sometimes notice Alden leather bottoms/double bend are relatively quiet and feel almost soft when walking up stairs. Alden buys their outsole bends from a company in Wisconsin that has really nice veg tan bends. When holding one in your hand they are extremely flexible. But I have heard A.E. used these outsoles in the past on some styles as well. I own some non Alden leather sole shoes that have a much stiffer sole and is quite a bit louder when walking, so I think that could be part of it.

Alpina

Reaction score
I've got both. 1 Pair unlined, 2 lined. Never noticed that there was a difference other than the lining, and the stitching on the tongue that necessarily goes with it. Unlined 9.5D (TTS), Lined 9C. Maybe could have gone smaller with the unlined, but the 9.5D works fine. Could not have gone larger with the lined, as I tried when I was dialing in. Started 9.5D, then tried 9D, finally arrived at 9C.

The length seems pretty similar despite being different sizes. At times I have wondered if BB adjusts their sizing .5 size to compensate for the spacious nature of the Van.

Good Luck

Edit: I recommend the Unlined where possible. Pardon the inappropriateness of my analogy, but the unlined feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of shell shoes. (even if you have socks on). The lined version feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of wooden clogs, at least until they are well broken-in. (Even with socks on).

(and yes, I do know from experience because I have actually tried it! I don't recommend it however, as its a great way to spread disease, like athletes...

...well, nevermind)

wow. Glad you keep your socks on

Yes, I've seen others mention that as well, which just adds to the mystery.

Ryden, I always leave my socks on, even when riding bareback.

(Ok, Enough, sorry for the pre-emptive snarkyness)

Quote:

Thanks your responses. Bakes, I appreciate your colorful analogy. I like a shoe with more structure, so as someone who doesn't (always) go for instant gratification, if breaking in the lined pair yields a good feel in the long run, I might still go that route. And as for size, the differing testimony makes me realize I may have to try these on in the flesh.
mwink[1].gif

Profligate: very sharp.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gentlemen,

When I read Steven's (Leffot's) description about Atoms, I thought it's good but I swear, these Atoms not just simply amazing looking and versatile as there is no tomorrow but so comfortable it's hard to believe. I'm planning to wear them casually with denim and with a bit formal trousers as well.

The price of $710 is high and most likely will climb as Alden seems to increase every year but I forgot already what I paid for these.:nodding:

Tremont last is exactly what I needed and thanks for all your sizing advice, fits like a glove! I have two more boots from LS on pre-order so will be on tight budget for the next few months. Mac method starts this weekend.

NIce! how did you size?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not one of their standard stock items, but Alden has certainly made some shortwing bluchers in shell.

Leather Soul has had barrie-lasted shortwing bluchers in black, color 8 and ravello:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/09/12/alden-shoes-8-shortwing-for-style-forum-lsw-lsbh/
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/06/15/alden-shoe-barrie-shortwing-in-black-shell-lsw/
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/07/23/alden-shoes-ravello-shortwing-lsw/

I think all the shortwings in whiskey to date have been bals. And no cigar shortwings at all that I can remember seeing...

Yep - I am aware of these. But they are all sold out.

Alden currently does not offer a shell SWB (on a leather sole) that i know of, much less one in cigar. Operative word is currently. I actually purchased the ravello SWB from LS.

I am making a distinction between a traditional SWB as those on the links above (and the Marlow) and the leffot atom which is different in design. BTW, the leffot atom is a great shoe and I gave some thought to buying it myself.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I appreciate you sharing your experience(s) with the BB boot. I'm quite fond of both, but its the little things that I'm debating in my head atm. Eyelets vs none, reverse welt vs none, the shape of the toebox is slightly similar since the Plaza last is a bit narrower than other common Alden lasts. Maybe I'll deliberate till I change my mind completely.

And my post should not be taken as a slam against C&J shell, or against C&J. It is not meant as that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads