***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Agreed, I recommend setting your preferences to 100 posts per page.

2. DCRoyal

DCRoyal Active Member

I own this model from TSM. I can confirm it is a double waterloc. And it's a great shoe. Was beating myself up for not getting in on the LS version however long ago and then the same thing popped up on TSM.

The double waterloc is getting a lot of play lately. And people like to tell you you can't topy it, but you absolutely can.

3. stanford88

stanford88 Senior member

You guys make me feet better about my 7 in a year in a half.

4. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

I imagine it is very similar to the sole used on Wolverine 1k boots. The fact it is oil filled does make it difficult to topy. It took me three attempts, only on the last attempt did the cobbler say he used "double the glue" (whatever that meant). Luckily the topys were of a "lifetime guarantee" variety (which as far as I could tell was a way to get £5 extra for it) turned out to be worthwhile as they started to peel off twice in the space of a month - and each time were replaced with as new. I don't know if it made a difference but there were applied to the sole when brand new. Perhaps if the sole has been allowed to get more scuffed up it might have been different (although the cobbler did sand the surface).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  5. DCRoyal

DCRoyal Active Member

interesting. I have had three pairs done and not one word from the cobbler. And he would have absolutely let me know.

6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

If I wasn't relegated to waiting years for pre-orders, I think I would have clocked in at around 8 pair in 2 years (only currently have two of them in my closet, waiting on 5 other pre-orders, plus the Thor boot if that ever gets confirmed by Alden)

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

QUESTION: has anyone used RenoMat to clean their shell? I know Ron Rider used it to clean a pair of black boots; however, Alden does use some special coat for the sheen and I am wondering if RenoMat takes that layer away.

8. rcb35

rcb35 Member

I have been looking for a brown lwb and have narrowed it down to the brown calf from AoC AF104 or the Brown CXL from leffot. I kind of wish the CXL had blind eyelets. Work is business casual so khakis and such. I have never owned a CXL shoe before does it require extra maintenance?

9. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Not sure where you had your "minor work" done, but try giving Marcelo at Gus' Shoe Repair a call (Belmont location). I had him convert a pair of Ravello cap toe boots the opposite way, commando to leather sole. Turnaround time was fast and they did a great job.

10. turkey_sandwich

turkey_sandwich Senior member

Thanks dslonghorn... I've only ever gone to the Shoe Hospital. They have done well for the most part but one pair of boots I brought to be resoled came back with some kind of uncomfortable lump under the ball of the foot and they refused to do anything about it.

11. handconstructed

handconstructed Member

... and over time, as you wear and care for them, the shoes will develop a patina that will help to make inconsistencies less noticeable.

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah this thread is a lot nicer and much more reasonable than most others

I think you could make it work, are they shell or calf or suede?

Did you get shoes back at least? Unfortunate news

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

BNelson does a commando sole but it is different than Alden's commando sole. Nick will send you a pic if you ask. Moulded Shoe will do an Alden commando sole.

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

Quote:lol no worries.. I've always been big into boots, just hadn't made the jump to USA until recently.. after learning about the yearly Alden price increases, I realized that if I were to ever want a pair, it'd be wise to grab them now before I get priced out of the shell game..

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

On the subject of whether the Atom is dress or casual, this is a photo of the Atom from Leffot's tumblr - this looks pretty dressy to me:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.