***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

2. rcb35

rcb35 Member

I am debating between the brown calf lwb from AoC with commando sole or the brown CXL from Leffot. Which one is more versatile? I bet the CXL is very comfortable due to the oiled sole.

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

What is the difference between double oak leather outsoles and double oiled waterlock sole? I am very interested in a brown CXL chukka and TSM has the oak leather available and Leather Sole (who does the water lock) does not have any available. I am curious what the difference is and if it is worth waiting for?

4. VAMC

VAMC Member

Hello everyone! I am new to SF and I am extremely happy that I found it. I have decided to get serious about my appearance and my clothes. I am pretty much starting my dress shoe collection from scratch and I wanted to ask for pointers on where to start and what brands to purchase . Any pointers?

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Only 1...Stay away from this thread! It will cost you a fortune :)

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

agreed. 10 pairs in just over a year has me considering an intervention [​IMG]

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

There is a lot of personal preference involved. Buy and wear what appeals to you, rather than buying what strangers on the internet tell you is cool. Style should be an expression of yourself, not an attempt to fit in and participate in the latest trend.

However, at the same time, what is considered bad taste in clothes is pretty widely accepted.

Edit: Not accusing you of doing this. Just making a point.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I used to have Color #8 Indy boots but wouldn't wear them with trousers and a tie. I have the Color #8 tanker boot from Context Clothing and I will wear that with tweed, corduroy, or flannel trousers and a tie and sport coat in a pinch.

I just don't think the TruBalance last that the Indy is on lends itself to anything much more formal than chinos or trousers, sans necktie.

9. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

+1, but it's only a small fortune.

10. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Excellent advice here.

11. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Though Alden is a great choice, I find it interesting that he chose to go to the "Alden thread" to ask what brand of shoes he should consider.

(Yes, there are people in this thread who will have good advice, but going to a branded thread to ask about brand choices isn't going to yield very objective responses.)

12. Krissly

Krissly Member

Hey guys, i bought a pair of Alden Cordovan Chukkas from a german dealer.

Just a quick question: Is this how the Cordovan shoes usually come out of the box, with lots of polish still on it ? :puzzled:

[​IMG]

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

If you want advice on specific styles, it would help if you described your needs (conservative business dress, business casual, casual, etc.).

One piece of general advice is to take this process slowly, because you're likely to continually refine your preferences, and you don't want to buy a lot of nice shoes only to later realize you prefer a different aesthetic.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Not only is taste a consideration, but budget is a huge part of the equation. You may like to wear shoes from John Lobb, but you may find you can only afford shoes from Allen Edmonds.

As some have already said you asked this in an Alden thread, there's a good chance most responses will be to choose Alden.

The good thing about this forum is there is a wealth of information.

I would recomend investing sometime to look around before asking, you may just find what your looking for. If nothing else you'll be better armed to ask more specific questions.

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I've never seen shell shoes or boots from any maker come out of the box looking like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.