1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior Member

Hi Be,

FYI - I have cigar lwb's on the way from Alden of Carmel. Adam says he has a few more in stock in various sizes, but isn't for some reason updating his website to reflect his stock. Check in with him!

2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Distinguished Member

Thanks for the heads-up on the AoC cigar LWB. I'll give Adam a jingle. For some reason I've been hungry for shell boots of late.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

3. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior Member

I can't find there number on the web site and I am sorry if it has already been posted but could I get it again

4. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior Member

Alden of Carmel is an email only operation. I have found Adam to be very to-the-point: if you know your size then get right to business. If you aren't sure about fit or haven't tried a particular last on before he will flat out tell you to shop elsewhere until you have nailed down sizing because he doesn't want to deal with returns. He doesn't seem to work well with tire-kickers or people that want to be able to do try things on and then return for another size later - he only gives store credit for returns and they have to be absolutely perfect and non-creased to return. He has a reputation here and at AAAC as being hard to deal with but I think he's just no-nonsense.

On the other hand, by all accounts he is meticulous - he has been known to go through his inventory and remove pairs with even the slightest imperfections, whereas Alden is happy to sell those as first quality. If you buy firsts from Adam then you can rest assured you have gone through a much more stringent QC process than the one done by Alden in MA.

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

Debating those Brown Tassels. Not sure I would wear them much. Do suede Aldens last as long as Shell? (Like 20+ years)

6. poena

poena Senior Member

7. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior Member

If you don't wear them much they might last 20 years, but they aren't sturdy like cordovans. I only have 1 pair of Alden suede (snuff LHS) but they are the most comfortable shoe I own by far due to the flex sole. In the year I have had them they still look good and I haven't done anything special other than using waterproofing spray and shoe trees. But I also wore them 2-3 times a week all summer so they haven't been babied :D

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

I highly recommend Alden suede - they won't likely last 20+ years, but they will be very valuable in the spring/summer. One of my favorite pairs is suede (J Crew tan suede PTBs)

9. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

Love the antique trim contrast with the cigar. Makes it really pop.

10. neutrino

neutrino Senior Member

Cigar LWB is the only pair of shell I have (small-timer here). W/ dark welt, from Alden SF. Love it.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

You sign up through your company, but your company has to already be participating in it.
    Thank you for your responses gentlemen. Still under consideration.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

13. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

14. sevenfoldtieguy

I have the black shell ones you link to above. I like them alot. I have various other color 8 boots.

I would not, and do not, wear mine with dress slacks and a tie. I have other models for such things and the Indy boot is rather casual IMO.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.