Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

RE the tanker vs lwb width question:

theoretically it shouldn't, but i had a pair of the leffot tankers that were quite narrow compared to gunboat lwb.
    there are tons of quirks with aldens, and I have noticed repeatedly that if the shoe does not have the storm welt and its on the barrie, the makers tend to pull the upper tighter around the last resulting in a snugger fit. some may disagree, but I've seen it happen over and over.

just my 2c.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

3. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

PSA/reminder: brooks brothers doing $100 off $500 (200 of 800) right now, works on aldens, ends tomorrow. Get that unlined lhs hookup!

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Crepe soles work well on the Context Roy boots and various suede options (chukka boots, "Milkshake" Indy boots, etc)

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

My Leffot tankers are definitely a bit more narrow than similar sized Longwings. However, given all are in E widths, I can wear them all comfortably.

6. alex4nder

alex4nder Well-Known Member

This has been my experience. I have three 9.5D Barries: the LWB is spacious, the Brixton short-wing boot is more narrow but manageable, and the new Leffot Tanker is narrow enough that I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they get more comfortable with time. All of these shoes were purchased in the last 6 months, the LWB and Brixton are both on double-leather soles.

7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

thats what I'm leaning towards..

thanks for the feedback [​IMG]

8. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

I'm looking for some advice on what is "normal" for cordovan leather shoe finishing and quality. I ordered some #8 cordovan boots from Shoemart. One of the boots that arrived appears to have a pretty serious wrinkle on the top part of the boot. Is this normal? Should I send it back? Would this be considered a factory second?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, both boots have some pits or wrinkles in the sides of the toes - they aren't smooth. One of them looks like this:

[​IMG]

Definitely not as well finished or flawless to me as the #8 cordovan cap toe from J Crew that just arrived today. Would these be considered defects or is this expected?

Any input greatly appreciated.

9. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Very nice

10. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior member

Next Thursday (March 14) is Brooks corporate discount day, 30% off if you have a discount card. As usual their flyer says cordovan is excluded, but if you load a pair in your cart before the sale starts then they will most likely be there when the 30% off sale starts and the corodovan section of the website magically disappears, as it seems to do every time they have a big sale. I have personal experience using this technique and used it last fall to drop the price of some LHS to $455.

I also noticed that Brooks has added a few more Aldens this season:
    snuff tassels
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Suede...var_MH00249_Color=BRWN&contentpos=4&cgid=0522

cxl tassels
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Calfs...ar_MH00248_Color=KHAK&contentpos=50&cgid=0522

chocolate brown tassels
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Brown...wvar_035H_Color=BRWN&contentpos=200&cgid=0522

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

Was about to post this, and you can always call their online 800 number and they will give you 30%

12. elvi679

elvi679 Senior member

13. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

14. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

15. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

The more I see of the cigar LWB the more I'd like to get a pair. Very nice gunboats sir!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.