Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cigar LWB today. And just for fun, today's timepiece (which I rarely wear, but am rather fond of).

2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Please remember that this stuff is for the classifieds and your signature.

3. FrankCowperwood

I really like Dainite soles. I'll consider something like this when I need my next resole. Thanks for posting the photos. Let us know how they wear for you.

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Forgive my ignorance on this... the boots look great, and another impeccable job by BNelson. What, though, is the purpose/benefits of Dainite? I am completely unversed in this material (beyond knowing what it is).

Looking good sir. Carry on. :slayer:

5. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

I believe Dainite is the English take on the commando sole -- good for the rain/snow

6. FrankCowperwood

Well, my enthusiasm may not be terribly educated. I have a of Carminas on the sole and it's something like the commando sole from Alden. I like how it wears so far and it is actually quite comfortable. I haven't tried it in really adverse conditions, but I think it would perform well, though it clearly isn't a lugged work boot sole. Also, it is very low profile, so you hardly notice that it's there. Comes in colors too! I believe I've seen Alden #8 LHS converted to a red Dainite sole for Tom Park of Leather Soul. I'd definitely do that one of these days. Maybe even with some Whiskey shell :embar:. I love tan and red together.

I'll bet Big Wong will have something more specific to say on the benefits...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Dainite wears well and it allows for a rubber sole on a dress shoe that is hardly noticeable (less noticeable than Alden's commando sole, which I also like). Because it is rubber, it provides for easier wear in wet conditions when compared to a leather soled shoe (light snow or melting snow on the ground; after a rain). I am awaiting a leather to Dainite conversion on a pair of black shell PTBs. I suspect they will be arriving in the next couple of days - courtesy of BNelson. Alden's commando sole has better grip IMO.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

There is an order form on BNelson's website, with prices.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Dainite is actually the brand name but it commonly refers to those soles with the little rubber studs.
    http://www.dainite.com/flash.html
    They also make the Ridgeway and I think they also make the Commando branded commando soles.

Dainite is awesome for wet weather locations (like Seattle). It's not death slippery on smooth wet surfaces, it wears like iron, and it's a relatively low profile look.

10. BIG WONG

BIG WONG Well-Known Member

I was charged $180, but it is because I had them refinish the leather as well. There was a part of the boot that was getting really rough and looked like it was cracking. No amount of the method was able to fix it.

This is my first pair of shoes with Dainite soles, so I don't know how they wear. I wanted Dainite because they are good for rain and light snow. I'll report back later this week as NYC is expecting some rain and possibly some snow.

11. brooklyn

brooklyn Senior member

Are the jcrew alden cordovan lwb different in anyway from a regular pair? Jcrew in nyc has them with no jcrew logos was and thinking about taking the leap. These are not the ones currently on the website.

12. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I believe the J. Crew LWB has a crepe sole

EDIT: wait, you said these are not the same as the ones on the website, and it doesn't say J. Crew anywhere, not even printed on the insole? Sounds like it might just be a standard #8 LWB. I've never been to their NYC store, is it possible they can sell stock Aldens there?

13. 2doubleu

2doubleu Well-Known Member

Always a good day for cigar!

14. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Agreed.

So much so that I happen to be wearing mine today as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

A few of the J Crew stores in New York sell stock Aldens, including the color 8 LWB on leather soles and a color 8 captoe blucher. The Ludlow store also sells some versions you don't really see elsewhere (like a tan suede lined chukka on crepe).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.