Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleganza

Eleganza Active Member

The putting aside of shoes is one thing in that store, but there is one *ahem* gentleman, receding hairline, slender build, as I do not remember his name, who seems to have issues with having that pleasant disposition, one that all fine salesmen of high end goods should have. I stopped going in there some years ago due to my discomfort with his behaviour, and I had spent some serious coin in there.

Thank goodness for the ability to make online purchases, no sour, dour personality to contend with, when spending coin.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

2. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I find no definition for the word so it must refer to the town or perhaps an individual .Considering the beauty of the locale makes sense

3. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

These are amazing. I must own these! Love that there are no metal eyelets.

4. amathew

amathew Senior member

Looking to buy my first pair of Aldens. Currently own Alan Edmonds (7.5 and 8) and Meermin (8.5).

As a first Alden shoe, what would you suggest? I've heard people state that their cordovan shoes are really good so should I avoid their non-shell options.
    I'm looking for something to wear as with casual wear, mainly chinos (I rarely wear jeans) and button downs. Don't really wear boots either, but I might be
    open to get a chukka or something smaller.

Also, it seems that the ShoeMart is always sold out of Aldens in size 7.5 and 8.0. Could this stuff still be in stock 'in their physical store'? Worth calling to check?

If I end up using Leffot instead (same sizing issues there), would be I be hit with cutoms fees?

5. stanford88

stanford88 Senior member

Just saw someone in the United Club Orlando with brand new whiskey LWB, if you're on this board, nice shoes! I was in the children's room with you.

6. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

7. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I size up 1/2 a size and keep the width the same.

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Sorry if this has been asked continuously over the past 2967 pages - I did have a quick look and couldn't see an answer.

I'm looking to buy my first pair of Alden, the Long Wing Blucher in Cigar Shell Cordovan. I'm a 13D in the Allen Edmonds MacNeil which fit perfectly. Firstly, what size should I be looking for in the Alden - I assume 12.5D? Secondly, where can I find them at the best price?

Cheers.

9. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Saw Ravello Gunboat seconds at TSM today in size 12...go get 'em Bigfoot :nodding:

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I side with most here and will say that their shell cordovan is really Alden's strong suit, but occasionally I will come across a non-shell pair that I really like. I also think Alden has some really nice suede as well, and since it's usually substantially less expensive than shell cordovan, that might be something worth checking out to start with. For a first pair, I think the longwings are a nice place to begin since they work well with chinos and most trousers as well as cords or jeans. I think their shell cordovan longwing in Alden's "Color #8" is very versatile but so is the longwing in the snuff suede. I recently got a pair in natural chromexcel leather and something like that could work good if you don't need something you can wear with a suit.

I wear the same sizes and often have the same problem finding them in stock. I've tried calling The Shoe Mart on a couple of occasions looking for something in a 7.5 that wasn't in stock on their site but have never had any luck that way.

Leffot just sounds French. They are actually in NYC, so no customs fees if you are in Denver.

11. sazon

sazon Senior member

Ravello, on the Amalfi Coast, is one of the most beautiful, breathtaking places on earth. I have been there 3 times.

An appropriate name for one of our favorite Alden colors.

12. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Modified last scotch grain PCT boot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tommyhk

tommyhk Active Member

Have you guys taken a look at the new JCREW make-ups posted today? I've been holding onto one of those 20% off vouchers and I might have to drop it on those suede split-toes :O

on a side note, anyone have any experience with the crepe soles from alden? both their #8 LWB and the new suede LWB come with them so I'm just wondering how they last/feel?

suede split toe boot
    http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/NewArrivals/shoes/PRDOVR~39491/39491.jsp

suede long wing
    http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/NewArrivals/shoes/PRDOVR~39365/39365.jsp

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

was gonna buy the jcrew suede lwb but no big feet sizes [​IMG]

15. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I had the opposite concern. I size as a 7D, but that drops to somewhere around a 6.5 on the Barrie and Trubalance. They cut off the sizing at 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.