***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

anyone have in the wild pics of these? curious if this is an accurate photo, cause if so, i'm ordering lol

[​IMG]

2. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Does Alden DC or anyone else still carry this? I spoke to Kathy recently and she said she only had the color 8 grant boot...Thanks in advance for any info. I've been on the hunt for cigar everything lately...

3. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ it might be out of stock now but they have been reordering them pretty regularly. Call Kathy back and see if you can get in on the next restock before they sell out again.

4. docalden2013

Dear Seven,

For the uninitiated, do you mind talking about what it is about the Plaza that trumps the other lasts for you? I'm particularly interested in a comparison and contrast with the Grant last, which I really like.

Thanks!

5. docalden2013

In my experience, there is quite a good deal of variability in the latency period between submitting an order with JC and receiving the shipping confirmation. Sometimes, it occurs less than an hour later; at other times, it could be nearly two days' latency. I've sometimes called customer service and corroborated that nothing will get screwed up just so I can move on. Sometimes they will even expedite your order if they're feeling particularly apologetic. Never hurts to flirt with the customer service folks [​IMG]

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

took right about 48 hours to receive the shipping confirmation from jcrew, just got it a bit ago [​IMG]

7. docalden2013

This makes me recall my graduate training days, during which I was taught in Intro to Couples Therapy that spouses don't need to be privy to everything in their partner's mind. Why give up your trade secrets? [​IMG] Not too late to get certain sizes on the Leffot Naval Boot, no?

8. docalden2013

Not sure if this applies to Aldens via JCrew, but most JCrew items I've ordered that ended up on delayed status have tended to arrive up to 5 weeks earlier than expected in most cases. A stylist in NJ told me that they use very conservative shipping estimates because Mickey Drexler doesn't want disappointed customers; he'd rather have them pleasantly surprised.

9. docalden2013

This just rubs salt in the wound I sustained by having just missed this JCrew Ravello-fest by less than a week.

Seriously, congrats on some lovely LWBs!!

10. docalden2013

Pasting this from the "Alden FAQ" that helped me stumble onto this wonderful thread several weeks ago:

I want new shoelaces for my Indy Boots. What are my options?
    1) Alden will mail you a pair if you ask. http://www.aldenshoe.com/
    2) The Alden Madison store will sell you waxed laces for ~$6. http://aldenmadisonny.com/
    3) Red Wing model 9011 will work, request them here http://www.redwingheritage.com/laces/

I tried the Red Wing trick last week and, lo and behold, some nice flat laces arrived within 5 days.

Are the Benjos colored laces too dandy-ish? If not, you can pick some up at a local AE store.

Good luck!!

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A few comments .....

1. Fit is good; fit is consistent; is agreeable with my foot shape; JGilbert - also a fan of the Plaza - gets plenty of my business.
    2. Sleek enough to wear in more formal settings; but not so sleek that it can't
    be worn casually (for the most part I like the Barrie last, and have numerous Barrie models, but I personally have a hard time wearing it in more formal settings, particularly those models with a storm welt and 360 degree welt)
    3. I like the grant last and find it woefully underutilized; Alden has very few models on it
    4. I also quite like the Aberdeen last and Snap last
    5. I have models on nearly every Alden last
    6. Nearly all of my alden purchases in the foreseeable future will be on the plaza or aberdeen

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

12. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Thanks Doc; I'm sure you'll get your hands on some ravello lwbs soon.

13. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Those look very nice. I wanted them because of the brass eyelets, but I like how these came out.

14. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Nicely done my friend. Good looking stuff.

15. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Nice whiskey. Great collection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.