***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

NRO would have to offer 100% discounts for me to ever order from them again.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

3. trig

trig Senior member

does that mean you went up to a 9.5E? or you got a 9.5D since it wasn't offered in 9E?

are you a 8.5E for barrie?

just to get an idea on sizing for the plaza.

4. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Doc, I think it's fortunate that you were able to resolve the LHS fit problem. Kathy at Alden DC does a fantastic job. The fact that you had to go with the cigar LHS is one if the vagaries of chasing limited sizes of hard to get colors in shoes you can't buy everywhere. I really like the cigar LHS. I think they'll serve you well as I believe their a bit more versatile than the whiskey. There are so many other cool make-ups of Alden shoes that one can get in whiskey that I'm positive the opportunity will present itself sooner than you think. Use the Mac break-in method and enjoy your new shoes.

5. ReppTiePrepster

I think it's worth it but that's me. Others may disagree, but I'm fine with that.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From top to bottom: J Crew Waxed Tobacco, J Crew dark brown calf, Ravello, and Cigar. I have black shell and color 8 in the LWB as well to complete the redundancy.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I like this photo. ^^

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good looking gunboat family

8. jereth

jereth Active Member

Does anyone know the actual measurement between sizes for Alden? I have an 11.5d trubalance that is too big and am trying to decide whether to go with an 11d or 10.5d Barrie. I'm pretty set on the JC cord cap toe, how are they with returns/exchanges if I order the wrong size?

9. ReppTiePrepster

J Crew's return policy is very easy. You won't have a problem returning but you may not be able to find the replacement size. FYI, while I wear the same barrie size in LWB and the JCrew color 8 perf cap toe boot, many say the barrie boot runs a little narrow in comparison to the LWB. Not sure if that helps you.

The JCrew ct boot was my first Alden boot and I love it. Good luck!

10. ReppTiePrepster

Thank you very much Uncle and El Argentino.

BTW, Argentino your last couple of pics of your JCrew Ravello LWB and your nat chrxl LWB are absolutely phenomenal! What kind of camera do you use? My i-phone pics aren't that flattering even after a thorough Mac-method session. Congrats on two excellent additions!

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Alden restoration services are available for Alden for BB models. :nodding:

12. Dr. D

Dr. D Senior member

To me cigar shell looks like aged #8. I'm talking about 20+ year-old color 8 shell. Check this out:

[​IMG]

The pair on the left are color 8 Florsheims from the early 80s and the one on the right are Alden's cigar LWB. Keep in mind as the shoes age they will lighten and change hue so I think it is entirely appropriate to keep both colors if they fit your wardrobe. Especially since cigar LWB have a light edge trim, which makes it look like a very different shoe to my eye.

With that being said cigar LWB are carried on a regular basis by multiple vendors (Shoemart, Alden SF/DC/NYC) so they shouldn't be too tough to find in the future with a little patience. If whiskey LWB fit your wardrobe better, I'd wait for those since you already have some brown LWB. It also depends on your trouser wardrobe - if you wear suits every day then whiskey LWB are probably a much lower priority and you should instead consider something like the whiskey bals from Alden NYC.

13. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Complements on that picture. The lighting is perfect and so is the clarity. Good job! And great shoes, too!

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have numerous color 8 and cigar models. Both colors, even in the exact same model, can be fully justified.

15. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

They will loosen with a few wears, mine did. Oh and the colour looks fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.