1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

Papa D: I am pretty OCD about my shell as well. As much as this may irk you today, a year from now the enjoyment you will have received from wearing this awesome boot will outweigh this little quirk by 100X.

As Uncle Mac says, they're shoes after all, not Rembrandts. :)

2. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

+1. They wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I would keep them.

3. bnigut

bnigut Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

Also, others probably won't notice unless they are lying on the floor looking at your shoes, as they are typically looking at your shoes from above.

I realized this because I was really drawn to the antique edge trim on the Cigar LHS when I was buying them. While wearing them, it is much less noticeable than in the TSM pics.

5. Steel28

Steel28 Distinguished Member

Just received my new shells (PTB 4 eyelet) from LS.. More pics later.

[​IMG]

6. chantheman

chantheman Senior Member

can the ravello pre order of these just go into production PLEASE

7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Distinguished Member

Yes please.

8. MrDV

MrDV Distinguished Member

I would keep those, that's a nice pair of boots. I have returned Aldens in the past for different reasons, your tankers are keepers.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

Do they have another pair in your size to look over? If so, you have nothing to lose, provided you can assess each pair and keep the one that is best. NOTE: A straight exchange may result in the new pair being worse, while the old pair gets sold to a third party.

I assume they don't have another pair. Moving on.

If the fit is good, and you otherwise like them, I can say with some degree of certainty that you will regret sending these back (if you do) for that "imperfection."

In all seriousness, if one looks long enough at any new pair of shells, one can find at least a perceived imperfection. For starters, the hide does not take to the dye uniformly, meaning, there will never be total consistency of color thru-out the entire shoe/boot (black excluded).

As I have acquired more shell over time, I have become less and less concerned about "imperfections" like this one. My concerns have lessened partially because it happens all the time - whether Alden., AE, C&J, etc., partially because many perceived imperfections are simply due to the nature of shell, and particularly because sending them back means you may never get that model again in your size (or at least not for many months/years). I can think of numerous models I have that were literally "the last one" in my size they had.

So ............ all of this is to say, keep the boots - they look great. And, if you wish, throw some Saphir cordo cream in burgundy on that spot.

Enjoy!!

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

I hate when people do this. :lol:

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Epaulet NatCXL Gunboats on a beautiful Friday.

+Snapseed

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

You made the right choice going with these... I am liking my pair from Leffot a lot

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Distinguished Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

If this didn't work would you consider using some Saphir burgundy cordovan creme?

Thanks SFTG. There isn't another pair in my size, and I'm sure it would be another year before the next pre order -- and like you say, the next pair could be worse (coloring, loose stitching, etc.).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

Thanks Alcibiades - I'm finding that they hit a really "sweet-spot" in my wardrobe that I'd been looking to fill with various other shoes. I enjoy the Leydon last a lot, and the slightly different silhouette it creates. And based on my current wardrobe composition the color goes really well with just about anything I can throw together in the morning.

Hits all my bases! ;)

15. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior Member

Beautiful boots! Mine were part of that pre-order, but unfortunately, they didn't make it out of Alden's QC. Steven was a complete gentleman in handling the situation, so kudos to Leffot on their customer service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.