***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Thank you for the prompt replies to the whiskey lhs-related questions I feared were more about my neurosis than about natural variations in Alden's manufacturing process. I will now sleep soundly tonight knowing that I am not losing an opportunity for whiskey, but instead gaining a versatile cigar shell that I will have the luxury of trying on in two different widths. I really thought I was going nuts for a second there, but as I look at the pics again, it sure looks like that left shoe is a 9.5 indeed.

Hopefully, all's well that ends well. Will send pics once the decision is made.

Btw, should I invest in dark brown cordovan creme for the cigar LHSs?

2. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

Looking forward to these being my first pair of black shell- found out this morning that my wife put me on the list for the pre-order as a birthday gift.

3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I'm considering a pair of cigar, ravello, or whiskey LHS myself, so the more pics and discussion the better. I cannot personally vouch for it, but many here seem to like the Saphir cordovan cremes.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I wear the LHS in 9C. My whiskey LHS came from Alden DC last year, but I have no idea if they have another pair. My Barrie size is 9D.

I tried the LHS in 9D - and they had way too much heel slippage.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

You have to send those back. The discrepancy is ridiculous. I have the LHS in whiskey and color 8. I like them both. That said, buying Cigar will not be a bad decision, if that's what you decide to do.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

The Saphir dark brown shell cordovan cream may, depending on your shade of cigar, darken the shoe. If you want to steer clear of that, go with Saphir nuetral shell cream or just Saphir Reno.

7. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

+1 on this.

I have had this actually happen to 3, yes, THREE different pairs of shoes I have ordered in the last couple years. I have returned each of them. Pretty annoying.

8. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

agree with the above. go neutral. i've even stopped using the burgundy cordovan cream because i don't like how uniformly it changes the color of color #8. on my ravello i've only ever used neutral, and started recently using it on my #8 as well. i just got a pair of cigar LHS and i plan to only use neutral on that as well. part of the beauty of shells is how each one has a different hue. neutral won't affect this. creams with pigment will.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

9. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

They right shoe may be 8.5 and the left may be 9. Not trying to be devil's advocate, just trying to help you get the right size.

10. Organika

Organika Senior member

Looking at the photos that shoe is unquestionably larger than the other, must be stamped incorrectly. Im sure you would enjoy the Cigar as well. I use Alden dark brown cream on Cigar as suggested and it seems to work well, wish you better luck with the next pair.

11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I'm in Los Angeles and likewise. The only thing SFers like that I've seen on the street is a pair of Lanvin sneakers. The guy looked so surprise when I told him nice Lanvins, haha.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

good point. only thing i would add is that pigmented creams are useful for finger nail deep scratches that require a little more than just brushing

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

13. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

this is true

14. meso

meso Senior member

Just in from ebay, Alden for Epaulet Brixton ravello boots. Had to put some work into them but like the patina.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Don L

Don L Senior member

^^ Wow, those Brixtons [​IMG] ^^

Nice score

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.