***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

yes that is a great option. the black shortwing boot is pretty tops as well, but is perhaps a little flashy for formal.

2. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

my experience has led me to think that its because the crepe sole allows the shoe to crease upward slightly more and so the tip of the sole doesn't strike the ground with as much force. its more a rolling action as opposed to the usual slight scrape that takes place.

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

That's what I was trying to say.

4. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

I just looked at the Leffot Naval Boot. Really nice! Does anyone have experience with this particular boot? Does it run TTS in the Barrie last? I'm definitely giving it consideration. How does it work as a dress shoe? They've got my size and I think I should get in on the pre-order. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

5. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

The Leffot Naval Boot is pretty sweet, I agree.

6. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Some interesting developments are happening in the midst of my recent purchase of whiskey LHSs from Alden of DC. Hoping to get some feedback on some choices I'm going to be making. Here's the situation:

I ordered the whiskey LHS in a Van last from Kathy a couple days back. I was unsure about whether to go with the 8.5 or 9D. She erred on the side of TTS. The shoes came today and are lovely--but with one catch. The left shoe is arguably a couple cm longer than the right shoe. Both are marked 9D, so it's not a mismatched pair. The right shoe fits exactly the way I wanted a loafer to fit: snug, but not suffocating; enough room in the toe area; and no heel slippage whatsoever. The left shoe was a train wreck. My heel outright pops out of the shoe no matter how delicately I step or scrunch my toes in an attempt to hold onto the shoe.

I got on the phone with Kathy, who has graciously offered to not only mail me a set of tongue pads for the left shoe, but is also shipping (at no charge or deposit whatsoever) a 9C and a 9D in the Cigar LHS. I can't wait to see the UPS guy tomorrow, but here are some questions:

- have you guys ever used more than one tongue pad to offset a length issue (I understand the adage that "if the shoe fits, wear it" and vice versa, but I'm hoping that finding just the right amount of padding could keep my left heel in the shoe)? During lunch, I tried padding with a remnant of a heel pad some SA at Neiman Marcus gave me--sadly, to no avail. The heel pad, which I placed at the tongue area was thin and kept slipping (because I didn't want to permanently affix something to a shoe I may be returning).

Following are some pics of the length issue. (My apologies for the less-than-stellar-iphone-camera quality). I tried to line the shoes up as symmetrically as possible; I believe you can see how the left shoe just edges out the right shoe. (It's almost like someone used too large a shoe tree prior to sending them out)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- next question is about Whiskey vs Cigar shell. I feel "forced" to go with Cigar in light of the sizing issue, so it's hard to think about letting the Whiskey go. That said, I was on the fence between the two shells when I placed the original order with Kathy. Do you guys have a preference between Whiskey and Cigar shells? Which do you find more versatile? Which seems easier to maintain and keep nice looking?

- last question is about width and cordovan stretching. As I said, the right shoe in 9D van fits nicely. A 9C would likely have corrected the left heel slipping issue (I'm quite certain the left shoe is longer than the right, but am open to the possibility that I simply have two very different length feet). Obviously, there is no option to mix and match widths. I'm wondering (and I realize maybe I just need to try the damn shoes on) how much stretching or relaxing is likely to happen in the toe box or vamp if I end up going with the narrower pair. Will my right foot, which loved the 9D, end up feeling completely choked and blistery in the 9C? Will the 9C end up loosening somewhat? Would the answer be different if the shoes in question were calf rather than shell?

At the very least, this has been a lesson in being careful which retailer one attempts the long distance try-on with. Let me say unequivocally that Kathy has been more than a stand-up person about this whole endeavor. She has spent ample time on the phone with me, answering questions, theorizing about solutions. Her willingness to send out two pairs of shoes I haven't paid for while still deciding on the original pair is a testament to her putting customer service ahead of making quick sales. I heartily urge folks to call her.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

its the jcrew #8 boot in black shell. plenty of pics on this thread from which I discern it to be a pretty nice dress shoe

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Almost: the JCrew boot has speed hooks and a 270 degree welt, whereas the naval boot has all eyelets and a 360 degree welt.

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

There is nothing "arguable" about that. The left shoe is clearly larger than the right shoe, and I wouldn't keep them no matter what happens. You don't want to start forcing a shoe of this price and caliber to fit by using cheap adhesive foam pads. Sometimes those are necessary for some people, but you should make sure the shoes are the best they can be before going that route.

10. Don L

Don L Senior member

Agree. That is clearly a mis-marked 9.5 on the Left.

I have both Cigar and Whiskey LHS. You will not be disappointed with the Cigar. It is a very versatile shoe.

11. Don L

Don L Senior member

Thank you!

12. scb

scb Senior member

Return them and get a refund. Those shoes are 2 different sizes

Alden San Francisco has the Whiskey LHS listed as being in stock in a 9D

13. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Agreed. I'm on the list for preorder. I miss my Pitt Boot in black shell, but they were a touch too small. I plan on adding the Naval Boot into the rotation quite frequently.

Leathersoul did an Officer's Boot in black kidskin awhile back that I covet and wish they'd reorder in black shell.

14. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Yes. Big difference for a shoe-head.

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I agree with the others. Return them. It will annoy you every time you put them on because they don't fit properly. Calf stretches much more than shell. Consensus is that shell stretches very little, if at all. However, the shoes will "give" a little as they take the shape of your foot and your foot sinks in to the cork layer of the insole and makes it's impression. That being said, this will have only a minimal affect on size.

Difference between 9D and 9C is not that significant, you might be surprised at how your larger foot could fit in to the 9C. Not sure they would have a whiskey in 9C, but they might.

Once you have both sizes in cigar, the choice will become clear.

Edit: Also, I don't own whiskey, but I think most would agree that Cigar is more versatile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.