***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmash

dmash Senior member

take a look a the picture right above your post. I don't think you can do much better than that.
    Holy shit, I just glanced at that and thought he was wearing navy trousers. Haha, well those are Cigars and look GREAT......so exactly how much 'redder' is the #8 compared to Cigar? Also, I'm sort of leaning towards whiskey for 2 reasons 1.They're not as common. 2. I already have a pair of Quoddy's in brown chromexcel and I feel like cigar is going to be the same color.

2. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

#8 is much more "red" than cigar- if you put the two next to each other, there is a very obvious difference. #8 is a deep maroon and cigar, a dark brown. Also, the difference gets more dramatic the more they age.....

3. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

[​IMG]

ravello lwb, spots are from walking in wet grass with morning dew from rain. after it dries up naturally spots disappear.

4. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

hopefully in the next 2 months going to buy some captoe boots in #8 shell grant last. i think #8 looks good after some time and wearing cigar looks pretty good brand new and only even better with time.

5. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

2. I already have a pair of Quoddy's in brown chromexcel and I feel like cigar is going to be the same color.
    I'd have to say that you can't really compare the two colors. I have a couple pairs of each and love them both but the difference is amazing to me. Cigar shell has a transparent depth that the chromexcel just can't compare to. Cigar has reds and greens and oranges deep within the "brown" depending on how the light hits it. Cigar also fades with time and sunlight revealing more of it's subtleties as it ages. Chromexcel is beautiful in a different way, but not nearly as deep. Maybe you just have to see them in person to appreciate the difference. Whiskey is an amazing color and also possesses that transparent depth. So does #8 and Ravello for that matter. Either way, I think a shell longwing is a great addition to any collection and will go well with denim. [​IMG]

6. young Ego

young Ego Senior member

yes it does run narrow. i wear 10.5d in barrie, 11d in hampton, but can not find the right fit for leydon this last just does not fit me well. i say get your true to size but go up a width so d go to e.

I was about to ask about the width sizing of the leydon last and found this. Is this accurate? Is it advisable to move from my standard US 10C sizing to a 10D in the leydon last? Or will the stretching make this unnecessary?

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I was about to ask about the width sizing of the leydon last and found this. Is this accurate? Is it advisable to move from my standard US 10C sizing to a 10D in the leydon last? Or will the stretching make this unnecessary?

It's perhaps accurate for him, but I don't think it's correct in general.
    The Leydon only seems narrow in comparison to the other Alden lasts. In general I don't think it's that narrow.

Of course in your case, the increased availability of d width might make it worth trying.

8. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

I already have a pair of Quoddy's in brown chromexcel and I feel like cigar is going to be the same color.

imo, there is no comparison at all to be made between cigar and chromexcel. I don't mean that cigar is way better. They are just entirely different types of leather. They are both brown, but the finish and texture is so different that i would never worry that owning one might make the other redundant.

9. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Is it advisable to move from my standard US 10C sizing to a 10D in the leydon last? Or will the stretching make this unnecessary?

This depends on the leather, no? For suede chukkas on the Leydon, The Alden Shop has been starting people off in their normal size and making adjustments from there. The SA mentioned that the suede stretches significantly and he's been sizing people with that in mind. Coming from him, this means something. I've found him to be very consistent in his mantra 'comfortable out of the store', and advising not to buy any of their non-suede shoes, calf or otherwise, expecting any stretch.

10. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Apologies for triple post, but I have a restoration question. Can leather heel pads be replaced during standard Alden restoration?

My feet now require insoles in all my shoes (plantar injury from running), and rather than a soft insole I'm considering a superfeet 3/4 'dress' insole, which is a hard, unlined plastic with aggressive arch support. My feet feel great with these insoles--better supported than the superfeet lined, full insoles that I've been wearing with my non-Alden shoes. But the dress insoles I'm considering have a hard textured bottom that may permanently dent the original heel pad.

Just wondering what kind of damage or wear I might be committing the shoe to if I go with these insoles--and how permanent it will be for the shoe. If heel pads can't be replaced during restoration, I may continue looking for a softer, lined, full insole for my newer purchases.

11. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Heel pads are always replaced at restoration.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Heel pads are always replaced at restoration.

Hello Tom,

Would you be willing to consider a special make up run of Plaza lasted longwings? I'd love a pair and don't want to incur the $150 MTO fee.

13. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Hello Tom,

Would you be willing to consider a special make up run of Plaza lasted longwings? I'd love a pair and don't want to incur the $150 MTO fee.

I would have to ask the [​IMG] first.

14. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

jasonfoote303 nice i'm liking those.

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I would have to ask the [​IMG] first.
    Just call it the Mafoo Shoe! On edit: If you make the shoe with a double sole then [​IMG] will be [​IMG] and might even buy himself a pair!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.