***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Agreed, I'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think my black calf NSTs are dress shoes.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Yep. This is nitpicking to the max. Only some of us will notice this. Most men just break down footwear into sneakers and dress shoes. Casual shoes are an unknown concept. Your LWBs in a suit will look super sharp next to a suit in a pair of Rockport hybrid dress/sneaker shoes that I often see men wear.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

:nodding:

True. City shoes, country shoes, casual shoes, bluchers, balmorals, etc are distinctions most don't know about. Wear what is aesthetically pleasing and appropriate for the situation

4. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Dear Bakes,
    Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my admittedly lengthy posts. I was actually leaning toward the snuff suede chukka; I only thought it made sense to at least entertain one of the other suedes since I bought a snuff suede LWB recently.

I very much appreciated your helping with the shoe care shopping list. Will definitely be placing an order (likely thru the Hanger Project) this weekend.

Anyone out there with opinions on the indications and contraindications for the Alden Leather Defender?

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

As former Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Tice
    once said "all right everybody calm down". I love when this forum gets more heated than a string theory seminar at a physics convention. Maybe there'd be some prescient argument concerning dress v. casual if any of us went to prep schools in Switzerland. To all of you who have, my sympathies. But damn it, this is America. Alden is an Anerican company that makes American shoes for anybody with enough scratch to get a pair. For what I "shelled" out yesterday for a pair of glorified penny loafers I'm going to wear my Alden's with pink tights under green shorts, and
    two different colored socks. TMI, sorry. While we're on the subject does anyone here wear the #2161 STB as their primary black dress shoe, and does it work for you? Sincerely, hot and bothered in cold MPLS.

6. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

this is not true in my case.

plus, that's generally a super weak argument.

that would be like if my intern turned in shitty work and said "oh well it's still better than what the intern gave you." okay, sure, but it's still shitty work and not up to standard.

in any case, i agree that 95% of people won't know the difference. but then again there is the random person who you would never expect to know. tonight i stopped into trader joes to buy some bananas and cheese. the guy that bagged my groceries was like "great boots. those alden's?" and i was like "oh, yeah." and he told me he'd saved up for a year for some black cordovan LWB but he doesn't wear them because they're too pretty. i'd never suspected the grocer to know what's up. but he did.

i see at least 2 pairs of alden's literally every time i go to my gym in the locker room. so it's not like everyone in this threat is some shoe illuminati.

7. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

yea that is what I was leaning towards (B Nelson) as I was going to want some taps installed as I somehow manage to butcher the toes on everything I wear

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The grocer shops at J Crew, lurks on styleforum, reads A Continuous Lean, and follows the Sartorialist on tumblr :nodding:

9. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

Been meaning to go down and try on some different lasts. Let us know what you find.

10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

11. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

You might even find a pair of #8 LWBs on a TSM seconds list (should one ever come out again). That would the change to the antique edge and welt less painful in terms of cost. But who knows when they show in your size.

12. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

How often do the rest of you see Aldens in the wild?
    I live in San Diego, and NEVER see anyone wearing Aldens.

13. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I live in Charlotte, NC and have yet to see a pair in the wild. Mostly AE and cheap looking crap.

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

unfortunately I'm 11.5, not much pops up..

I'll probably just grab the next decently priced pair I can find and send off to B.Nelson.

15. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

The nice thing about it is that it is #8, so something is bound to come up. You might even catch one of these elusive sales.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.