***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

You don't consider, for instance, a balmoral wingtip a dress shoe?

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Most of the time when I visit the Alden NYC store, it is full with older, conservative looking men. Most of them believe they are buying dress shoes (blucher, balmoral, loafers, wingtips, plain toe, captoe, whatever)

3. vertforet

vertforet Member

Lovely boots with the pebble grain.

4. Burton

Burton Senior member

In some regions bluchers are not considered dress shoes--defined as appropriate for wear with city suits. For instance, you would not wear a blucher in the City in England. That said, it is perfectly acceptable, and widely done, in Germany's or France's financial districts. I don't consider the NST or the LHS a dress shoe. I think you are pushing the edge of the envelope with tassels and the full strap (though it is perfectly acceptable here in the U.S. and I have seen Prince Charles in tassels and a city suit). In the end, I believe a fair number of Alden shoes can be considered dress shoes and apprpriate for city suits.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

5. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Agreed. The original post claimed that the only dress shoe Alden makes is a straight cap toe.

6. Burton

Burton Senior member

Yeah. I know that wasn't the best post - but hopefully we don't judge people on a single post. I am sure I have a few cringe worthy ones myself.

7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Sure, I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it. In fact, I have a feeling imolazhp_ci meant that he thought the only dress boot Alden makes is a straight cap toe.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I do think there is a bit of a difference between discussing "formality" and "dress shoes." For most men (Americans, at least), a "dress shoe" is basically anything that is acceptable to a majority of people with a suit (or wool trousers). This would generally include loafers. However, when i know an event will be more formal than most (an interview, etc), I tend to reach for the captoe balmorals. If only the most formal shoes can be "dress shoes," then maybe most Aldens would be excluded

9. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

that was me, thanks for the heads up..

trying to decide if its worth ordering thru there (as they have my size) and pay shipping etc to get it over here, or just buy a regular 975 and have the sole sanded be B.Nelson (and have flush taps installed)

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

To get the exact look of the antique edge, you should order from there, IMO.

11. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

touche. but i don't consider a LWB, PTB, NST and certainly not any boot or loafer a "dress shoe."

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

That's going to be about $800 to get them from the Bureau just to have antique edge trim and you'll still end up with dark welt.

I think I'd get a pair of regular 975s and have B Nelson do the antique edge + a lighter welt if I'm paying that much.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

What the hell does "dress" even mean? Alden is dressier than 95% of the shoes that your coworkers and friends wear to work. You can wear them with a suit and they'll look better than most. You can wear them with jeans and get compliments from ladies.

This debate is pointless and needs to be framed in a different light. The shoes you listed are bluchers, which traditionally are considered to be casual. Balmorals are dressy in the same way a three piece suit is considered dressy.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Agreed, I'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think my black calf NSTs are dress shoes.

15. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Yep. This is nitpicking to the max. Only some of us will notice this. Most men just break down footwear into sneakers and dress shoes. Casual shoes are an unknown concept. Your LWBs in a suit will look super sharp next to a suit in a pair of Rockport hybrid dress/sneaker shoes that I often see men wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.