Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Lol mine are pretty scratched up if you look closely, especially on the speed hook part. I will brush them every 20 wears or so no worries

2. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I agree with the other posters -- the commando is barely noticable unless you lift up your foot. The sole's edge is leather and the rubber portion is very thin. Go with whichever sole you prefer for comfort or practicality. If versitility is the ONLY concern, go leather.

I just pre-ordered the Leffot Naval Boot. I already have two Grant-lasted captoes with commando soles so I figured I'd go with something a little different for my black boot. Granted (pun) , I doubt I'll wear them with a suit...at least not to the office.

3. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

With all the great and recent Ravello chukka pictures that I have been so jealous of I forgot that a few of them came from Alden NYC. They now have one less pair in stock, I just took the last ones in 9.5D, THANK YOU! [​IMG]

5. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Thanks for the info. I only started buying aldens in 2010. I hear of older shades of ravello and whiskey, I've always wondered what they would look like in real life.

6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

All this and still no Ravello Brixton from Epaulet, which was ordered 25 months ago now. Which makes me wonder, how long were those other retailers waiting for these recent models that just came in over the past few months? Or, were their orders bumped up over Epaulet?

7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks for the kind words.

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Awesome news! I am glad I could help

9. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

something to consider - i found the commando sole + black combo to be too militaristic, much preferred the double leather soles on black boots

natural cxl chukka from pelle line:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Great looking! A month or tow ago I tried to order those. They had the 8D available and when I went to order the next day they were gone...

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I like the natural storm welt

12. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

This is one of the only models where the Alden for BB version is, IMO, quite different than the factory version. I own both versions in color 8. The BB version is on a sleeker last (M-75, like Plaza). The factory version - 974 - is, as you say, on the Tremont. I went 1/2 size down on the 974 Tremont and TTS on the BB version. Hope this helps. :D

14. Burton

Burton Senior member

Sevenfold, do you know the differences between the M-75 and the Plaza last? BTW, reviews on the BB site say they are on the Plaza. I trust you more than I trust any of the reviewers.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

This is probably the dressiest boot Alden makes, when one considers the Grant last, all eyelets, and leather sole. This exact boot, made on the Plaza, would be dressier even still.

Either boot would work; and the commando version - given its ability to be worn more easily in snow and slush, if needed - is perhaps even more versatile. For me, personally (in 8), I went with the commando version. I don't wear them with suits. But I have no objection whatsoever if others do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.