***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Ha! That's funny: I have the same debate, but in reverse. I think I'd prefer to go with a totally different color next rather than something that's so similar. Color 8 probably, if I can find them. But I love the antique edge on color 8 LWBs so much that I might just wait for Leffot to pre-order them again, which could mean a wait of a year.

Anyway...

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I had tan suede longwings and tan suede unlined dovers... I ended up selling the suede longwings (too much overlap with the suede PTB for the spring and summer) and ordering the natty CXL longwings from Leffot.

3. Don L

Don L Senior member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Any advice for someone wanting to begin purchasing some Alden? I have 21 pair of Allen Edmonds and am looking to expand into some nicer offerings.

5. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

browse this thread and see what shoes strike your fancy. that's what began my fledgling alden obsession...page 1 of this thread. any major gaps in your AE collection (for example, are you missing full strap loafers or perhaps split toes)? how much shell do you have?

where you live also influences whether you can try on shoes in-store to get a feel for what size you are in the different alden lasts.

6. Don L

Don L Senior member

Rare break in the weather today and the snow on the deck melted so I took advantage
    Thanks
    Thanking Uncle Mac for turning me on the these
    Thank you sir!

7. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blackbird Chemist Boot. Black shell on the crepe with all eyelets.

8. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

i heard alden dropped blackbird because they weren't paying their bills. i also know they ditched their store in the middle of the night recently because they were multiple months behind on their rent.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

What's in your current collection? The answer to that will go a long way in allowing an objective assessment of what Aldens you have a need for (err ... a want for).

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Nice to see some black shell!

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I have a guy making an eBay dispute because he thinks these were incorrectly listed by me as being made by Alden.

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

TBH, I didn't know until detailed research that Alden produces BB shoes. I went to the store, examined the shoes myself looking for any "Alden" branding, asked (clueless) SAs and still didn't know until I came to the thread.

I don't blame him. I don't think it's right in the least, but can understand where he may be coming from.

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

You're right that, unfortunately, they don't say Alden anywhere on them -- whereas, the AE for BB shoes do have some mention of AE on the shoe or in the product description. I was going to tell him to call BB customer service, but I worry that they won't know the product.

If anyone knows of an article or something that I can reference, that would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  14. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I have seen in the past, on the BB website, that some of the questions sections will have questions specifically asking if a shoe was made by Alden and the rep from BB answered affirmatively. Perhaps you can email BB customer service or submit a question on the BB website so that you can show him who makes the shoe.

Just fyi, I've listed shoes like this before, and I generally put both names in the auction and state in the auction that the shoes were manufactured for BB by Alden.

15. Burton

Burton Senior member

That is quite stupid. You should point out that Alden does the recraft and they do not work on shoes other than their manufacture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.