***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

CTYGGG, great looking shoes. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with asymmetrical creases.

2. sazon

sazon Senior member

PSA: Had to put mine up for sale. 10.5 D if anyone is interested.

3. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I got mine earlier in the week and commented that they were darker than I expected. Mine really don't have much red in them, yet.

4. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Great pair. I have a pair and love them. These shoes have made my NIB Ravello Shortwings expendable. Still can't come around to list them though.

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

What the heck are asymmetrical creases, and why would anybody worry about them? :)

6. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Any chance of getting a picture of the outside in natural light.

I'm sure they are beauties.

7. digga

digga Senior member

More Alden growing pains perhaps? Should I be concerned about this? Looks like some wrinkling or folding over under the stitching. I'm mostly concerned that there is a missed stitch or something that might come apart at some point.

[​IMG]

8. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I'd like to get an Alden shortwing and I'm looking for some advice on Tremont sizing which will be a new last for me. I've been happy with a 9D in the Plaza NST Boot, and 8.5D in Barrie LWBs, WTBs and TB Indys. Most of what I've read says go with your Barrie size, but the retailer is leading me toward going tts (9D). Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Great googly-moogly. I want your life, wj4. ;)

It'll really all depend on the shape of your foot. I find the Tremont to line up w/ my Barrie size perfectly - I've got room to spare in the Barrie, but my Tremont is spot on in the toebox and foot opening. If you can try them on, great. If not, order two sizes and return the one you're least satisfied with. It is one of those boarderline lasts that can go either way.

10. forsan

forsan Senior member

Finally got the Roy boots in. These were my first exposure to Alden's (have bought other pairs between finding out about these and getting the pre-order in), so I'm super excited about getting these in - just in time for my birthday too [​IMG]

Didn't have the most ideal lighting for photos today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also one more that shows the actual color a little better:
    [​IMG]

My first boot on the TruBalance last and I'm liking it a lot so far. I was worried that going from my Modified natural cxl boot to this would feel too loose, but it's actually tighter in the heel (or so it seems) which works well for me.

11. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Thank you, sir. You should have purchased them & it would've been "MoneyWellSpent". :)

Thank you, sir. You have been posting some great Alden pics as of late, carry on.

Looking great wj4,

Thank you, sir.

Sazon, good luck with the sale for I've seen your listing and they look great. It's not a common Alden make-up and they don't appear for sale very often, think Kathy has only done two production runs for the DC store so far. Also given the scarcity of ravello as of late it could be awhile before they are produced again.

Are those the LS ravello shortwings? Don't see those come up for sale very often either and I can understand your hesitation.

Thank you, sir.

True that, wear and enjoy is my motto, let the creases fall where they may & take it in stride so to speak.

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I just picked up a pair of the whiskey (short) wingtip bal oxfords from Alden DC. I couldn't find a local retailer that carried any tremont-lasted shoes so I asked around on this thread and made some calls to Alden DC, San Fran, NYC, and TSM. The answers were mixed, but it seemed that those that actually owned a pair said the tremont was the same length as the barrie, but has a slightly narrower toe box. I have to agree. Medium weight socks make for a snug, but not uncomfortable fit. Standard thin dress socks are perfect. I suppose if your barrie size is fairly snug, you may need to size up for the tremont, but such is not the case for me. Trying on 2 sizes would probably be ideal. Good luck...

13. Netraam

Netraam New Member

They're called Indy boots for a reason, aren't they?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

But in all sincerity, anyone have an estimate on the repair cost of this, or know if it's repairable at all?

The sole's almost entirely separated between the toe and the heel, but the stitching is all fine on the rest of the boot.

Leather's cracking a bit from prolonged water exposure.

14. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Does anyone routinely use tongue pads in their Aldens? I'm trying out a pair of PTBs that seem to fit well, but when I slip a tongue pad in between the tongue and my foot (not using the adhesive just yet), my foot feels more locked in and heel slip is diminished (there's really not much heel slip to begin with). I understand that, as the sole breaks in, some initial heel slip can go away. I've used tongue pads on some Loake chukkas to get rid of some extra room, but I kind of dislike the idea of using them on a pair of shoes that are significantly more expensive, however, and I also wonder if tongue pads can be replaced many times throughout the life of a shoe?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

15. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I use tongue pads on my Indy Oxfords. I also use them on pair of Carminas that are more expensive. I am sure they can be replaced, but might want to have a cobbler do it since the glue appears to be extremely sticky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.