• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Alden is like the lower east side of nyc. A lot of hip places there in the 70's-90's, then everyone got wind and moved in, now.its yuppie.central. Soon it was in vogue and people were willing to pay exhorbitant rents for the same places that were much cheaper in the past. We'll see if Alden can keep it up. As for Manhattan, well its almost entirely homogenized at this point, but wait I hear Brooklyn has some hip places....

I like the analogy. I have a good friend who lives in the east village and he always talks about how it's changed. I tend to go there every couple of months to visit and love it, but you can see the changes. It's a shame, but that's the way it goes.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter how much you pay for something, there is still a good chance you will be disappointed with it.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
No matter how much you pay for something, there is still a good chance you will be disappointed with it.

Truer words never spoken.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
It seems to me that a lot of these quality control issues are the result of the prevalence of online shopping (no matter what brand or product). If we actually had the shoes in our hands we might not buy a defective pair. I realize that this is the only way that most of us are able to find the Aldens we want, but maybe there would be less defects if people never bought the pairs that had them in the first place. Catch 22 I suppose...

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Aren't 90% of issues with indys? I mean it's their cheapest shoe and they crank out thousands of these especially the past year or two with the workwear boom. I'd say they are the hottest seller by 10 or 20 fold so it's not really very surprising they take less time with each shoe than say a lw or ptb.

It can be even more than 95% because I do not recall a single issue in this thread other than Indy boots- aside from Arigold's problem with his boots.

Of course we cannot blame only Indy boots depending on the problems reported here. Nonetheless, in my opinion this is probably one of the biggest venues where such problems are reported. This cannot not be a simple matter of luck. Please note that people suffer from their Indys manufactured with different specs for various retailers, including LS. Perhaps this happens 1 to 5% of Indy owners, and there is no way we cannot know that. I own 3 Indys and I am quite happy with them.

As these are workboots, and iconic with the Indy movie, this should not be expected.

saracen

Reaction score
I love Aldens as much as anyone here, but I think I'm hearing a lot of excuses and grasping for justifications without facts.

So far I've seen these facts:

Fact 1: No question there are some qc issues with some shoes/boots
Fact 2: Alden always seems to correct the problem.

Everything else are assumptions (opinions).

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my Winn Perry longwings had a couple problems that I decided to overlook (spotting on the toe, slightly weird toe shape on one shoe, different looking welts on the two shoes). If I had been able to examine them in the store, I might not have bought them. Alden's quality control is problematic. It's weird, when I see vintage pairs, the stitching always seems much smoother and more regular.

bbhewee

Reaction score
From the link above, looks like the Moc Toe Boot is coming in something else than the white vibram-type sole... http://horween.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/dsc_0051.jpg
bounce2.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Yeah, my Winn Perry longwings had a couple problems that I decided to overlook (spotting on the toe, slightly weird toe shape on one shoe, different looking welts on the two shoes). If I had been able to examine them in the store, I might not have bought them. Alden's quality control is problematic. It's weird, when I see vintage pairs, the stitching always seems much smoother and more regular.

I wear my 2 Alden QC horror stories as a badge of honor..
plain.gif

iansir

Reaction score
In my experience the Indy boots appear to be a bit lower quality than typical alden standards. My Indy shoes in chromexcel are significantly better in finish than identical Indy boots in chromexcel. Still not a perfect shoe, but they are not supposed to be 'perfect'... I think they are fantastic shoes though
smile.gif

slappy

Reaction score
I really like those shoes, unfortunately they are very hard to find.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I wear my 2 Alden QC horror stories as a badge of honor..
plain.gif

Yeah, they're usually easy to forgive as part of the charm.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
I decided to try these laces with my new shoes. I think it adds to the vintage outdoorsy charm of this pair. What do you guys think?
mocc5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads