• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Got my Ravellos on today
ravellos.jpg

b-ill

Reaction score
Anyone ever try Meltonian delicate cream on their Aldens? The guy at the shoe store recommended them but it didn't receive very good reviews online. One thing on AAA said it would strip the color from your shoes, which seemed kind of odd for a "delicate" cream.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Their shell shoes cost more than Crockett & Jones now.

calf Alden is about the same price as calf C&J, and the shells from each company are pretty close as well

slappy

Reaction score
Pediwear has the C&J shell shoes for about $540. Some Alden shoes are only a bit more at 580 or so, but most are over 600. Anyways my only point is that Alden must have got a pretty serious uptick in business over the last several years. They are free to charge what they want and I have the disposable income to afford their stuff; I just wish they would take their QC more seriously.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
there have been plenty of complaints in this thread about Alden QC, particularly with boots, even with firsts. I don't think it should come as a shock anymore that plenty of effed up boots are coming out of the Alden factory. I mean I know this is a thread where people praise Alden, and people don't want to hear this, but it's stunning to me that so many basic complaints have surfaced here about $400 - $500 shoes that are not manufactured in high quantities

+1 -even though I have not seen slappy's boots in person and still believe that his boots are fine-

I don't think that this is a thread where people praise Alden. Note that the thread is called "The official Alden thread", and not ""The official Alden praise thread". We need to criticize if we are unhappy with the quality. As far as I see, the problems mainly occur in boots, perhaps only in Indy boots, and mostly with the ones with Chromexcel uppers.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
+1 -even though I have not seen slappy's boots in person and still believe that his boots are fine-

I don't think that this is a thread where people praise Alden. Note that the thread is called "The official Alden thread", and not ""The official Alden praise thread". We need to criticize if we are unhappy with the quality. As far as I see, the problems mainly occur in boots, perhaps only in Indy boots, and mostly with the ones with Chromexcel uppers.

I bought my first pair of aldens - Winn Perry Double waterloc officer boots - and the stitching of the upper has unravelled and looks horrible. I am severely disappointed by the quality control - becuase quite frankly the materials are all such nice quality and of course i paid alot for them.

damn you alden - damn you!!

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice...the Roy is such a lovely boot. Really, I should order one but I'm just too damn inpatient to wait the many months it takes to get them in. I keep hoping one of these days I'll stop into Context and they'll just happen to have an extra 11.5 sitting around
smile.gif
Unfortunately I don't think that is likely to happen.

alleyooptroop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Nice...the Roy is such a lovely boot. Really, I should order one but I'm just too damn inpatient to wait the many months it takes to get them in. I keep hoping one of these days I'll stop into Context and they'll just happen to have an extra 11.5 sitting around
smile.gif
Unfortunately I don't think that is likely to happen.

not to make you feel bad but i thought i was going to have to wait. i went on their site but my size wasn't listed! i guess they had all the preorders in my size they were willing to take. so i called anyway to plead for one more and lo and behold they had a pair in stock! i told them i felt like i hit the lottery
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
cotton suit not shown, suede longwings from LSH.

IMG00106.jpg

damn nice rick these were the first lwb i wanted

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Ahab, by "same shoe" I mean that it fulfills the same function within my wardrobe. To put it another way, it is a near-perfect substitute. The Alden cigar longwing would look good with any outfit with which I wear my brown cordo Darltons. Conversely, any situation in which my Darltons would not be appropriate would not be improved by wearing the Alden cigar longwings.
I agree. But for some reason I am more likely to dress my Darlton's down. They are also my travel shoe because they are so easy to remove at checkpoints and put back on.

But of course you are correct. If I had it to do all over again I think I would have just purchased the Alden Cigar longwing for $600+ than the Darlton for $400+ but both shoes are really nice.
Originally Posted by Morgan

None of this is to say they are exactly equivalent. The Barrie last fits me much better than the Crockett & Jones 325, on which the Darlton is constructed. I agree, the heel on the 325 is wide and the sole of the shoe is stiffer and less supple. I wore my well-used Darltons on Wednesday and my brand new Alden suede longwings on Thursday (identical to the ones Rick is wearing above), and the brand new double leather soles on the Aldens were more comfortable than the broken-in soles on the Darltons.

However, after making a series of somewhat duplicative and redundant wardrobe purchases, I've started asking myself whether a particular item actually fills a hole in my wardrobe, or whether it's just a variation on an item I already own and enjoy.

HEH! I am there brother. Especially with shoes.
blush.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Got my Ravellos on today
Very nice. These look very versatile.
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
there have been plenty of complaints in this thread about Alden QC, particularly with boots, even with firsts. I don't think it should come as a shock anymore that plenty of effed up boots are coming out of the Alden factory. I mean I know this is a thread where people praise Alden, and people don't want to hear this, but it's stunning to me that so many basic complaints have surfaced here about $400 - $500 shoes that are not manufactured in high quantities
Well I am not sure what to think of the complaints here. It is like when I go to NewEgg and look at the user reviews and I see a bunch of horrible reviews on a product but when I buy it I do not have any issues at all. I think people are more likely to post when they have an issue. But here what surprises me is that some of the issues are from people who post many positive experiences so I have to take the negative experiences here more seriously. For what it is worth I have a few pairs of Alden boots and I have a small separation at the bottom of the eyelet tab but nothing like the ones I have seen here and it does not seem to be getting any worse. BUT my Indy's fit a little large, they are not tight at all which may make a difference.
Originally Posted by b-ill
Anyone ever try Meltonian delicate cream on their Aldens? The guy at the shoe store recommended them but it didn't receive very good reviews online. One thing on AAA said it would strip the color from your shoes, which seemed kind of odd for a "delicate" cream.
No. I use their colored shoe creams and have no problems.
Originally Posted by slappy
Pediwear has the C&J shell shoes for about $540. Some Alden shoes are only a bit more at 580 or so, but most are over 600. Anyways my only point is that Alden must have got a pretty serious uptick in business over the last several years. They are free to charge what they want and I have the disposable income to afford their stuff; I just wish they would take their QC more seriously.
I have had no problems with Alden QC but I do have the minor finishing flaws that all Alden's possess on all of my shoes. But I like it that my Alden's have these finishing flaws. Maybe it is just a justification or rationalization but I like it when I see the little flaws when I am shining my shoes. And I really hate to say it because I am going to open up a can of worms and I really am not going to talk about this.... But I remember reading about the holes in the back of the boots and looking and seeing the holes on my boots. Some people were freaking out and saying a lot of what people are now saying about QC. Well that was a while ago and I forgot about it until I was shining my Rider Boot's chukka and I noticed two little holes in the same place. It does not effect the boot in any way and I think the Rider's are made by Martegani which seems to have a much better finish than my Alden's. So I am not ready to accept that the sky is falling yet.
Originally Posted by mg428
+1 -even though I have not seen slappy's boots in person and still believe that his boots are fine- I don't think that this is a thread where people praise Alden. Note that the thread is called "The official Alden thread", and not ""The official Alden praise thread". We need to criticize if we are unhappy with the quality. As far as I see, the problems mainly occur in boots, perhaps only in Indy boots, and mostly with the ones with Chromexcel uppers.
I agree.
Originally Posted by AriGold
I bought my first pair of aldens - Winn Perry Double waterloc officer boots - and the stitching of the upper has unravelled and looks horrible. I am severely disappointed by the quality control - becuase quite frankly the materials are all such nice quality and of course i paid alot for them. I would like to see some pics please. damn you alden - damn you!!
Originally Posted by alleyooptroop
look what came in today!!!
Fantastic! Very nice and looks a lot different than the Indy's which I feel are getting over exposed on the forum at this time. Luckily they are not overexposed in real life!
Originally Posted by jet
damn nice rick these were the first lwb i wanted
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads