***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I am assuming you are in Baltimore. #8, Cigar or one of the darker calf selections. If you start with a lighter color you may not be wearing it much for a while. I know people love the shells but with your climate I feel that you may be more comfortable wearing calf on days like yesterday when it was nice early and then rain late. With calf it is not a big deal, with cordovan it should not be a big deal but spotting can occur.

J Crew has a pair of black LWB's with exposed eyelets that I like but I do not wear black that much. I wearing a pair of black pebble grain LWB's today though. The Shoemart has a pair of dark brown LWB's. I think these would be very versatile. I have a darker pair of calf LWB's that I love. I purchased them from Leather Soul a couple of years ago.

Here are my new dark brown long wings in calf that I got from Leather Soul. Both are brand new in the pics:

Leather Soul Dark Brown Calf left with Alden of Carmel Cigar Shell Right:
    [​IMG]

Alden of Carmel Cigar Shell Left Leather Soul Dark Brown Calf Right:
    [​IMG]

Alden of Carmel Cigar Shell Left Leather Soul Dark Brown Calf Right:
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps.

2. Burton

Burton Senior member

Wonderful to see that you have picked up the two worst habits in which one can be legally engaged - shell cordovan shoes and Marcoliani socks. (Cashmere no less.) Great. Good for you. Write a letter to your future heirs and tell them that there will be no inheritance because, instead of something simple like crack or booze, you picked up the shell cordovan bug. My advice run while you can. Go. Leave or you will be arguing about different shades of brown on this internet board after spending all of your money on something that almost no one understands and makes you look crazier than an old coot in a state run facility.

Should you continue on with us, however, you will need at least the following to be a true member of the club:

* 1 Boot (at least)

* 2 Pair loafers (at least) - tassels and the LHS if they fit you. You can always add in a full strap or one of the others.

* A wide assortment of bluchers

If you work in a casual environment, I don't think you need to be too particular about what you buy next. If it is suits, you may want to get one of the SC oxfords.

Personally, I would do tassel loafers in color 8.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

Exchanged out the Indy with the growth issue, content now. Hope Roguls is cool with the pic: [​IMG]

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

5. ReppTiePrepster

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Yes - get the basics pinned down. Assuming you will wear them in professional settings, that means some captoe bals and/or captoe bluchers in color 8 and black. And if you can get the Alden for BB versions of these, I would suggest pulling the trigger. Also, an LWB in cigar would introduce you to the exotics, yet still be quite practical. Get your wallet out ..... :nodding:

If you will wear them only in casual settings, there are numerous ways you could go.

Good luck.

7. ReppTiePrepster

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

2nd sentence - true (but a dark edge changes things)
    3rd sentence - true

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

As much as I agree with overshoes, I'm not sure I would bring them with me on vacation. I would rather forego one of the shell shoes and bring a pair of suede shoes instead.

11. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

is anyone using overshoes on their Alden boots? I am just trying to understand if they fit over the larger sole.

12. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

has anyone received a theshoemart seconds list lately? The last time they sent me one was back in November. looking for 9.5 and 10

13. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

I'm currently wearing Tingley's 1900 in size XL for a pair for shell boots on the trubalance last in size 10d, so just size up and should fit.

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    the most versatile-#8 lwb

15. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Stopped in there the other day, but didn't see anything special in your size.

Did see a 10.5 cigar chukka, a size 13 whiskey PTB. Also a very dark Ravello chukka in 12. They had
    three 11.5 J crew #8 captoes which looked great. Ask for Bob if you call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.