• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm going to risk offending many members in this thread and the vast majority of shoes in my closet by saying that I don't necessarily think that shell is the ultimate goal of Alden ownership. :hide:

I know we focus on shell a lot here, but there are many great Aldens in other leathers that we see here too. So go for shell if it is for you, and don't worry if it is not. Enjoy those boots. :)

nephew,
very well stated

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have much more to learn about shoe maintenance, but if I would have listened to the first person who sold me a pair of alden shell instead of using this forum for research, my shell shoes would have faaar too much wax paste on them.  As it stands, I have four pair and have not done anything to them with the exception of the mac method.  And they look great.

I know the method calls for very periodically using wax, but is it absolutely necessary?

only if necessary. the ultimate goal is never to wax

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

black wt
argyles otc

Last edited:

millerbk

Reaction score
No problem. Did you get the double waterlock version? I assumed that is what they all are, but thinking about it I didnt ask.
Yes they have the double waterlock. The cost also had the new Alden price increase so I wasn't to happy about that

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is the sole on the Alden shell cordovan shoes.... well cordovan? Seems I've seen them stamped that way on the soles. If so, are the calf shoes soled with calf? Odd question I know but these Alden soles are harder than say C & J. Why?...

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So now I am thinking the water lock soles are softer in nature. I thought I read this somewhere and it has my interest piqued.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSA: Alden SF has whiskey longwings. Not sure what stock they have left. They aren't listed online, so you will have to call.

Hope someone benefits from this.

On this front: Alden DC should have a 9.5D in the black shell captoe boot on the Grant, commando sole. This particular boot, in cigar and black, gets some mention on here so I thought I'd mention it.

jpo

Reaction score
Well ive fallen for the shortwing as my first love in an Alden. Can anyone offer some direction in getting a pair of shortwings in #8? LeatherSole is doing another run sometime in 2014. I cannot have an unrequited love for that long. Any advice for hookijg a pair in 2013 would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jvc44

Reaction score
I would appreciate some opinions. Norwegian front #8 or Brixton#8 from epaulet ?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Torture but in a good way.

Over the last year and a half I have stocked up heavily on Alden, primarily cordovan boots. At this point I'm basically set with footwear for September through May timeframe (cooler months = boot weather for me).  Living in the mid-atlantic shoes are pretty mandatory for summer considering the heat and humidity, I have cigar ptb, and a suede pair of ranger shoes for the warm months but I really want a darker pair of shell cordovan shoes to work into the warm period rotation. I just sold off a few things and my paypal account is fully stocked. The alden 990 and the alden for brooks brothers PTB #8 would fit the bill perfectly and are readily available BUT technically I'm still in boot mode for a solid three more months and there is really no need to jump on a purchase that won't be worn for several months and is generally readily available.

The smart thing to do is hold out for:
  • killer deal on theshoemart seconds list
  • hope for something nice on alden of carmel irregulars
  • hope for a sale at jcrew or brooks brothers
  • wait to see what unique offerings come out of LS, Unionmade, Epaulet, and other retailers
  • keep tabs on the SF classifieds section

Money buring a hole in your pocket is torture, but I guess it's better than wanting something and not having the means.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-SHELL...1051059?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3a7df106b3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads