1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Navy CXL?

2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I'm not sure why you would be surprised or frustrated that there was confusion around this. You said yourself that Alden uses their own terminology despite what the majority of other high quality shoe manufacturers use. Adding to that, places like TSM use different descriptions than Alden does for many of their straight-tips/cap toes. I think it's pretty obvious that would confuse some people. Perhaps a better question may have been, why does Alden use the term straight tip when everyone else uses cap toe?

I wrote the original question so I thank you for providing some detail surrounding the naming conventions, but to actually get frustrated that a discussion was sparked by my question seems rather strange.

3. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

Thinking about visiting Union Made and checking out some shell chukkas. Can these be dressed down, way down, with jeans? Anyone have pics?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Alden NYC sells the full strap in whiskey

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

strangebrew: Thinking about visiting Union Made and checking out some shell chukkas. Can these be dressed down, way down, with jeans? Anyone have pics?

Yes - every shell color, in a chukka boot, can be worn with jeans. It is a nice look.

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Basically all Alden shoes can be credibly dressed down with jeans except certain styles really intended for dress (balmoral wingtips or captoes, etc). Of course, many can be dressed up as well. At the end of the day, relative to what most people are wearing, almost any Alden will look "dressier" than normal with casual jeans and t-shirt outfits (most people are wearing converses or whatever with such outfits), but if it is your style, go with it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Thank you uncle! Your advice gives me courage.

8. Rishi Kakar

Now that would need one adroit man, I not sure I qualify.

9. Rishi Kakar

Uncle, something just tells me its time for a black shell PTB picture against a cobblestone path from Uncle Mac!

10. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

Trying to size up some Ralph Lauren shell tassels.....any suggestions on comparison to Alden lasts?

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

as you know, we live in an a/c world

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, thank you for sharing this matter, ed and joe at tsm are the best

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, looking good, wear in good health

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good combo, good day for cigar

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, looking good

16. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

good suggestion and if he is in Hong Kong, he can go to Tassels which is located in central Hong Kong

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you
    I do not have the full strap in either cigar or whiskey. alden exotic colors at this time seem to have dried up

18. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Congrats, they look great! I had a similar experience with a pair of cigar PTBs, in which the finish on the right shoe was "flaking" near the toe crease after the first few weeks. I brought them back to NY shop on Madison where I had purchased them, and they sent them back to Alden to have the surface refinished. Came back looking fantastic(and faster than expected), the finish was like glass. I was pleased, and very happy with the service from those guys as well. But I will agree the crew at TSM is very customer oriented and a pleasure to deal with.

19. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

ATLVOL: Trying to size up some Ralph Lauren shell tassels.....any suggestions on comparison to Alden lasts?

If you are not D width or wider, don't bother.

20. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I love these! Every time I see them I immediately want to put my navy shortwings up for sale and get a pair of these instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.