• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been debating about acquiring a chukka boot as well. Once someone posted a picture of a 6 eyelet chukka my mind was set to wait until I could find a pair.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So typically I have always thought myself an 8D on the Barrie last. When I was in New York recently I was told to try an 8E. I have an 8E Cigar Chukka here (LOVE this boot) and I am unsure of the fit. The shoe itself fits well across the vamp however I am getting a good amount of heel slip. I am unsure as to if the width is contributing to this or it is more a function of the 2 eyelet chukka? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Just to chime in on this. In terms of sizing, I think you and I are similar.

I wear an 8D in barrie lasted ptbs and longwings. However, when I tried an 8D in the chukkas it was uncomfortable across the vamp, so I went with an 8E and the fit across the vamp was great. I do have some slight heel slip in the chukkas, but it does not bother me and I think it is actually one of my most comfortable shoes I own.

On a side note, when I have purchased barrie lasted boots, I go with an 8.5D and the fit is spot on, and I don't have to overly tighten the laces either. I was swimming in an 8.5D in the chukkas.

hkpm

Reaction score
here are a couple... they aren't as noticeable in the picture as in real life but I think you can tell what I am talking about...

thanks

My whiskey tanker and lwb also have this kind of "black spot" after some wears.
I am not sure if they caught these spots after some wears or the wax covering them got "thinner" and shown the spots that are originally on the shell though.

At first it really bothered me but now it doesn't.

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Dear Alden experts,

I have the 911 captoes in 8EEE, they fit me well.

I like these boots made on the same last (Hampton):
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...elet_cap_toe_boot_commando_sole_calfskin.html

ShoeMart used to offer it in EEE width but it's now out of stock. Before I email them with inquiries re: EEE width, I was wondering, does anybody have experience with shoes and boots on the same last and if there is any difference in fit? Should I just go with the same size or maybe up half a size? (I definitely cannot size down, that would be too narrow, my left foot is actually closer to 4E width.)

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My whiskey tanker and lwb also have this kind of "black spot" after some wears.
I am not sure if they caught these spots after some wears or the wax covering them got "thinner" and shown the spots that are originally on the shell though.

At first it really bothered me but now it doesn't.

Shell (beause horses are not harvested for their hides and because it comes from the butt of a work horse) is an imperfect material. The closer the colors are to the natural color of the shell, the more likely you are to see the blemishes. On some level, the blemishes are part of the beauty of the material.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just browsed the Lakota House site for fun to see what they had. As we know, Aldens are really expensive in Japan (I guess all shoes might be now), but I was shocked at the page that listed prices for repair work. One example listed was "double-leather sole", and at the current exchange, it was about $260! I'm not sure what it included, whether it was a full recraft or what. But jeez, $260??

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just to chime in on this. In terms of sizing, I think you and I are similar.

I wear an 8D in barrie lasted ptbs and longwings. However, when I tried an 8D in the chukkas it was uncomfortable across the vamp, so I went with an 8E and the fit across the vamp was great. I do have some slight heel slip in the chukkas, but it does not bother me and I think it is actually one of my most comfortable shoes I own.

On a side note, when I have purchased barrie lasted boots, I go with an 8.5D and the fit is spot on, and I don't have to overly tighten the laces either. I was swimming in an 8.5D in the chukkas.

Thank you very much for your response. It is such a tough call. I just put my 8D #8 Barrie wingtip boots back on and they were noticeably tighter across the vamp than these. However I am wearing one of my thicker pair of socks today and the chukkas are right on the verge of being too lose. Will be a tough call...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They pay well in Japan and I believe their prices reflect the equivalent of the European VAT (i.e. sales tax).

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A question for anyone nice enough to answer.
On my whiskey shells, I get black coloring on spots on shoe...heel from driving.... on toe and other areas after vigorous brushing (using the Mac Method, always).
Is that normal?  is there a way to prevent it or is it part of the process of the shell aging and gaining a patina?
thanks in advance for any advice....

nephew,
if the black spots or lines came from the factory and these marks are do the tan processing of the exotic colors. please post picture. can you see the lines or spots six feet from the shoe? as you get closer to the shoe are the spots or lines more apparent

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

here are a couple... they aren't as noticeable in the picture as in real life but I think you can tell what I am talking about... thanks
nephew, the pictures have provided the answer-it is from the tanning process and there is nothing you can do about it except enjoy wearing, they are good looking

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So typically I have always thought myself an 8D on the Barrie last. When I was in New York recently I was told to try an 8E. I have an 8E Cigar Chukka here (LOVE this boot) and I am unsure of the fit. The shoe itself fits well across the vamp however I am getting a good amount of heel slip. I am unsure as to if the width is contributing to this or it is more a function of the 2 eyelet chukka? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

nephew,
from my experience, the two eyelet chukkas never fit properly, i tried various sizes and always felt the chukkas was slipping on my feet. i switched to the six eyelet chukkas and i have not had this problem

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They pay well in Japan and I believe their prices reflect the equivalent of the European VAT (i.e. sales tax).

nephew,
japan has a 20% tariff on leather goods.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you very much for your response. It is such a tough call. I just put my 8D #8 Barrie wingtip boots back on and they were noticeably tighter across the vamp than these. However I am wearing one of my thicker pair of socks today and the chukkas are right on the verge of being too lose. Will be a tough call...

I totally understand. As many on this forum have learned, trial and error seems to be a fairly common approach to Alden shoes. Uncle Mac, who has been buying these shoes for many years, has dealt with this issue himself with his two-eyelet chukkas and I am assuming other shoes as well. Also, as some on the forum have mentioned, shoes that are the same size and same last can fit differently.

Since you have worn them already I would suggest wearing them around the house for a week or so just to give them more time and if you still aren't convinced, then you probably never will be and selling them would be your best option.

nephew,
wear in good health your whiskey gunboats

Thanks Uncle Mac. Whiskey has fast become my favorite Alden shell color. With time it gains more of a ravello characteristic and I find that it looks much better in person than it does in photos. Not to mention, it is never a bad day for whiskey!

Also, I thought I would share a photo I came across. Looks to me like there is a lot of Alden love coming from these guys. Looks like there are some color 8 boots, color 8 ptbs, whiskey longwings, and some black shell worn by the other gentleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads