• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

J.Crew Ravello LWB maiden voyage.

I find this to be a spot on use of ravello shell.

SLAB

Reaction score
wow, if anyone is crazy enough to sell his pair of the Jcrew ravello longwings size 8, let me know, i'll buy them!

Destroyed the crepe sole of mr Roy boots and looking to have them resoled. Either single leather midsole with chunky Goodyear commando halfsole (think Tricker's) or double leather soles with metal tip guard. any suggestions?

Yaniel

Reaction score
Just received my first pair of Alden's. 9501 Bootmaker Edition from Shoe Mart in Natural CXL. The fit is perfect. I'm in complete love! Does anyone have some info on how to care for Natural CXL that won't affect the color much? Thanks

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Sapphire Reno to good result as well

DCRoyal

Reaction score
Alden DC still has a few of the Ravel lo LWB with the double waterlock sole in stock. Unsure of the sizes that remain (with the exception that I know they have no 11.5 and 12 and only have D widths), but its worth a call if you are looking. As far as i can tell it looks very similar to the J. Crew minus the eyelets. The display had a dark sole but when they were brought out they had the lighter edge trim and flex soles. Nice surprise.

Edit: Also meant to add that they still have the whiskey short wing bal and the very nice looking pebble LWB w commando soles on display.

And, a question. Kathy mentioned they are awaiting stock of black and #8 shell PTB's unlined with a single flex sole, and a few other places had done a makeup like this previously. Anyone have a makeup like this? Curious to know how they feel/fit/crease etc. Sounds intriguing.

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've got some Ravello sitting around that I'd like to get rid of, but I'm having second thoughts about returning the recent J. Crew version. The brass eyelets with the antique sole really creates an entirely different shoe than the dark sole. Although, how many pairs of brown longwings does a guy need (I think I already have 7)?

nephew,
no rule of thumb; therefore, as many as you like

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Funny this is how I look when I go to work... more often brown shoes though. Also, thanks for the inflation education uncle.
Awww, how did I miss all the addiction/enabling/self-help conversations? :)

nephew,
your dress attire is above average. of course, in the old days you would be sent home with brown shoes except for saturday and sunday

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a trick to get tassels to gather again after they've come apart from travel and wear?

djblack

Reaction score
Are these shell cordovan Aldens? A person is selling them as such. But I've never seen them with that seam in the back. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics