1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

A very slick combination uncle. Very slick.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

WOW! Those really did come out great!

NEXT TIME TAKE BEFORE PICS!!![​IMG]

maybe you can still post the pics from the eBay listing?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

4. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I love all 3 of these but there is something extra elegant about color 8 shells with the antique welt. Very nice collection.

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

You may be misunderstanding what has been written. If all that is present is the line making the cap toe, Alden calls them straight tips but still categorizes them under cap toe. If there are perforations/broguing, Alden refers to them as cap toe followed by the description of the perforations/broguing.

You will not find "straight tip" on the name of any of Aldens shoes that have perforations/broguing. If I am wrong, forgive me. We are all friends here, no need for frustration or condescension in tone. Good day gents...

6. REguy

REguy Senior member

I see Blackbird is shutting its doors. I picked up a couple unique make-ups from them over the past few years. While their relationship with Alden sort of petered out recently, I had hoped they might resurrect something in the future. If anyone is into that gothic, hipster, vampire look, they're blowing out their existing inventory.

7. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

Fine shoes, I wore mine today, also picked them up on Ebay.

8. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Bakes - I still haven't figured out how to post a link to the listing. In my defense for not posting before pictures (and this is a flimsy defense) but this one was nothing like last weeks where the shoes were beat up shells that I didn't if they could be restored. After completion, I was pretty proud of my work. With these shoes, I just got lucky. I put the better part of 15 minutes of effort in them and other than the Saphir renovater, I didn't do anything that I don't normally do to my shoes. Again, it's a flimsy defense and I will absolutely take pictures before my next reclamation project.

1 person likes this.
  9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    you did very will, the soles indicate that the shoes have been hardly worn.

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

11. erbs

erbs Senior member

How does the Hampton last fit? I'm wear a:

10.5D Barrie/Truebalance
    10.5E Aberdeen
    11E Leydon

Would I take a 10.5E or an 11D Hampton?

12. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Congrats on a great haul. Alden DC has been a great source for many of my rare shell shoe and belt catches. Job well done. I've been off the hunt lately. Finishing up a remodel project that one part of it had issues and I had to jump in and get tough. Another thing is it finally hot here so business is booming. I'm earning some money for a fall surge! Watch out. To be honest I still have over a 1/2 dozen pairs I still need to break in via the Mac protocol..

Glad to see everyone is doing well.

See Ya,
    Steve

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

10.5E if I had to guess.

14. Tommi

Tommi Senior member

I wear 10.5D Barrie and 11E Hampton. The latter is a bit roomier.

15. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

My color8 LWBs have threads coming out at 2 places. I am aware that many people face these quality issues with alden. Could friends on the forum guide me as to what I should do? Should I snip the thread with a pair of scissors or. Can I just let them be?

16. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

anyone else use leather tipped crepe / plantation soles?

[​IMG]

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    snip the thread with your scissors

18. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior member

If someone is typically a 10 1/2 C, would a 10 D likely fit ? I got an inquiry on this for one of my auctions for a shoe that's on the Barrie last. I'm guessing I can't say for certain without first knowing on which last this person wears a 10 1/2 C?

19. Burton

Burton Senior member

Not opposed to snipping the thread, but I have gotten better results by using a lit match to burn the loose end down. This seems to stop all future unravelling- but does require a gentle hand.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  20. cgul629

cgul629 Member

Thank you both for the warm welcome. My mac method skills need a lot of work to get to the level of shine I see posted here, but I will definitely do my best.

I do like the look of a lot of Alden boots, but assumed they would be too hot to wear in south Florida. I suppose I may have to reconsider.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.