1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am aware of the wingtips but I was under the impression that the plaza last worked best as the most casual boot, like jeans and tshirt casual.

I was looking at the AE daltons but i loved the look of the plaza captoes with the commando sole.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Most would say that the plaza last is among Alden's more dressier lasts. The plaza last is a beloved last on this thread, but I wouldn't describe it as jeans and tshirt casual. The barrie last works great as a casual last. That said, if you want plaza because you like the look, go for plaza.

The grant last may also be a good option. Alden NYC stocks grant lasted captoe boots on double leather soles while Alden DC stocks them on commando soles.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

This was always my understanding. If the cap has punching or a medallion then it is NOT a straight tip. Blucher or Bal.

4. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

LeatherSoul also has a plain toe "Pitt" boot in color #8 coming in sometime this fall. There was a pre-order for it back in January but if you contact them they may be able to tell you if your size will be available once they arrive.

And I agree with Alcibiades that the berrie last works great for casual wear.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Wow, that's a long discussion about a simple case of semantics. [​IMG]

A "Straight Tip" and a "Cap Toe" are the same thing. Alden calls them Straight Tips. Others call them Cap Toes. Nowhere on Alden's website do I find the term Cap Toe. Some other retailers refer to their Alden shoes as Cap Toes (such as The Shoe Mart), but they are the same shoe that Alden calls Straight Tips.

The shoe can have a medallion. This has nothing to do with whether a shoe then has to be called a Straight Tip or a Cap Toe. It does have to do with it's brogue classification (see below).

The edge of the leather tip can have broguing. Some call these perforations instead of broguing. Again, they are the same thing. Alden calls them perforations, but broguing is the official term.

Officially, shoes are termed according to their amount of broguing:

Full Brogues (wingtips)
    Semi or Half Brogues (toe cap with a brogued edge and medallion)
    Quarter Brogues (toe cap with brogued edge but no medallion)
    Longwing Brogues (longwings)

Sorry, Alden can call their shoes whatever they want, but the history and art of shoe making is much longer, richer, and deeper than just this one company.

6. Don L

Don L Senior member

No Tips today [​IMG]

Snuff LHS

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. 89826

89826 Senior member

My cigar lhs's have a stain about the size of a nickel right on the top. I just noticed it, and I haven't worn those shoes in a while. I tried brushing, Venetian shoe cream, and using a damp cloth to wet the stain. Nothing. I am sure the stain has set. Could be food-based, including oil, or maybe even urine. What to do? Could Reno help?

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

"Official term"? Is there an international shoe governing body that defines these terms?

9. wildstar

wildstar Senior member

Chimaki, I think I bought the last 4060 8.5D from TSM a few days ago. It's an awesome boot but I think the Grant last isn't going to work out for me. I was thinking about selling it, I'll send you a PM.

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Google "Shoe Terminology" and have a ball. If you want a quicker reference, simply go to Wikipedia. International shoe governing body? No. Books and authoritative resources that go back hundreds of years? Yes.

11. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

Yes, the Governing Etymology Officiating Footwear Faculty. People "ask Geoff".

12. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Thank you sir.

Thanks, I'm glad I jumped on these.

Thank you sir.

Thanks uncle.

13. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Awesome start sir. Great looking boots.

14. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

You would like the ptb. #8, ravello, or cigar.

15. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

That is a sweet combination DonL. Very nice.

1 person likes this.
  16. jt2gt

jt2gt Senior member

Rishi....I say go boots. I didn't think I was a boot wearer either, but Alden boots are like no other. Find a good fit and you will love any of them from Alden. Dress up, dress down...they just work.

17. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

Second that, never wore boots before my Alden's now have two pair and wear them all the time.

18. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

+1 on all. Very well put.

19. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Excellent explanation. Thank you.

20. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Thank you MrDv.Much appreciate

Thread Status: