• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only
foo.gif
AFAIK
i dont know what that means
shog[1].gif

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
Sorry if this was already covered--all this talk reminds me to ask whether any stock indies come with a commando sole...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If by stock Indys you mean the standard Alden catalog, then no. The catalog Indys are all cork-neo sole. If someone knows differently, please chime in.

***Edit***

Let me revise that, the 404 Kudu Indy has a lug sole. Otherwise, all cork-neo.

Last edited:

Explorer

Reaction score
If by stock Indys you mean the standard Alden catalog, then no. The catalog Indys are all cork-neo sole. If someone knows differently, please chime in.

I agree. However, the Shoe Mart has continously been selling the Alden Indy Tobacco Chamois with commando sole for a while. Although the Tobacco Chamois edition is not a standard Alden catalog, it has been consistently available unlike other special and hard to find marks/versions.

Also, on a side note, although the Tobacco Chamois edition is not an excat replica of the Indy films boots, like those being made by Alden for Adventurebilt shoe store in Germany, the Tobacco Chamois comes very close to the boots in the Indy films. I own three pairs of the Tobacco Chamois and they are perhaps the most comfortable, reliable, and sturdy Indy boots. I use one pair for my field work in Africa and the other two for daily non-work use.

Explorer

Organika

Reaction score

CXL is cowhide, not calf. 

edit: Let me revise this--as far as I know, CXL only comes in cowhide and horsehide. I should have clarified that in my first post, since I actually own horse CXL stuff.

Yep, but Horween also tans many calf hides as well

Last edited:

hypomnema

Reaction score

I have a question to give myself peace of mind: How similar does the 975 (LWB) fit to the Epaulet Brixton?  They are both Barrie, but it appears that the toe on the Brixton boot is slightly more prominent.

I ask because I have a pair of Brixtons in 7.5D that fit perfectly, and I just ordered a pair of LWBs in 7.5D, but I want to be sure of the fit.

I've noticed that the Brixton fits a little more snug than the LWBs. I have a size 8.5 in Brixton that fit nicely but wear an 8 in the longwing. Should point out that I have a narrow foot, though.

OfficeLinebacke

Reaction score
Yeah... I was told the same thing by another store as well. I needed 975s (Color 8 LWB) in size 7.5D, and there were none on hand in the store, nor at Alden. They are doing a run of them as we speak, I guess.
You sure it wasn't 14 days? I just ordered some Wednesday and was told two weeks.

OfficeLinebacke

Reaction score
Gents, FYI, Che from Alden DC has apparently moved to NYC and is now working at Leffot. I ran into her there today. I had a Rider boot preorder waiting for me there, but apparently Rider messed up my sizing, so I grabbed the CXL PT boots instead, pics forthcoming
This is awesome. When I was at Alden DC with my gf a couple weeks ago she mentioned she'd love to work there.

digga

Reaction score
I don't think it is normal. My guess would be that someone stuffed them in the box improperly.

I wonder which retailer it was?

Yea, it definitely looks like someone packed them improperly. I bought these semi-locally (I had to drive about 2 hours to get to the store). They fitted me with a couple pairs of beater shoes they had in stock and then ordered these "custom" ones for me from Alden.

I guess I'm curious about how often things like this appear. Would Alden normally replace something like this or would they say that this is normal. I doubt that I would be able to get a replacement for this shoe, but I'm having a hard time accepting this and wearing them around.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you're getting pent up over nothing - there's no structural damage to the shoe, it's not a deep scratch that needs to be boned out, etc. As you wear it, that will go away - ie adjusting to your foot rather than the box it's been in. Throw some large trees in there, brush vigorously, and there's no problem.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, it definitely looks like someone packed them improperly. I bought these semi-locally (I had to drive about 2 hours to get to the store). They fitted me with a couple pairs of beater shoes they had in stock and then ordered these "custom" ones for me from Alden.

I guess I'm curious about how often things like this appear. Would Alden normally replace something like this or would they say that this is normal. I doubt that I would be able to get a replacement for this shoe, but I'm having a hard time accepting this and wearing them around.
If you do end up going the replacement route, you could just return those where ever you got them, now that you know your size order a different pair from Alden SF or other retailer. It is a stock model, isn't it? #8PTB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads