1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. specialk0449

specialk0449 Active Member

2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

All good points sir. I never hesitate to contact the seller and ask for a pic of the sizing designation script inside of a shoe, or simply what size does the box say. I've bought items on eBay where many sellers will exchange phone #'s so I can ask every question that I can think of about an item.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

To me, the crazy thing is that none of them look like they have ever been worn.

4. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Who did the work for you? I need to do my 403s too but i have yet to find someone i'd be willing to do the work in the GTA

5. sazon

sazon Senior member

I thought the same thing as soon as I saw that pic.

6. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Alden makes the tan suede Dover in the Leydon last? Or just Barrie?

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

90% of everything is barrie.

alden just doesnt have a great selection in it's stores/sites, very limited.

Kinda sad, if you dont want something on barrie, then the only chance you have to get it is through group MTO (they even cut off individual MTO this year/last year). and even when you order it, it can take a year or more for the order to be fulfilled. (unlike carmina or vass where its 2-3 months)

makes me sad because I would order from them a lot more if not for the above problems.

1 person likes this.
  8. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I've given up on Barrie. Just sold my last 2 Barrie shoes recently. I just find the Leydon to be such a sleeker last. Maybe I'll just have to skip the Dover and grab the 1494s.

9. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

I'm really hoping this is an old picture. Would be a shame if these are just sitting in a closet somewhere.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Given up on it because of fit or lack of sleekness or both? Just curious ....

11. green garden

green garden Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. green garden

green garden Senior member

Most of J Gilbert's make-ups are in the Plaza. You may want to try and look at those.

1 person likes this.
  13. mcass

mcass Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you - great call on NRO. To answer one of the above questions, I didn't have any issues with fit. I just grew to dislike the lack of sleekness of Barrie - especially compared to my 1493 Leydon chukkas.

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey lhs
    [​IMG]

15. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Looking good as always Mac.

16. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Very nice Uncle!

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

19. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Without wading through tons of Aden posts .. Is the 405 Indy Shell #8 hand stitched.? Does this stitching pattern make for more circulation say apposed to a plain toe?

20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Actually, Alden DC, Madison, San Fran, TSM, etc... all have a wide selection of non-barrie lasted shoes. While you are correct that MTOs are almost impossible to come by, there are many sleek-looking available Alden lasts out there (it may require some looking). Additionally, the leydon last wouldn't be my first choice for the dressier, sleeker look. BB's M-58 and M-75 lasts are excellent. The aberdeen and plaza lasts are great. I spent last weekend in NYC and found plenty of sleeker Aldens on lasts outside of barrie at Alden on Madison, Leffot, Citishoes, J Press, and BB to name a few. If you're looking for a sleek dressy look, Alden has options. But if Carmina or Vass have what you want with greater availability, have at it. But you will not get the classic American-made shoe/look with Carmina. And that my friend, is perfectly fine if that's your choice. It just isn't mine. TBH, I don't mind the wait times because I can not afford to acquire everything I want all at once. The demand and lack of supply actually paces me well and gives me time to decide that I do not need another very similar variation of color 8. Patience is a virtue! [​IMG]

While I am on the subject, I might as well complete the rant... [​IMG] I find it disturbing that someone would ship American-made classics to some Spaniards to steal/replicate lasts/shoes/boots that have become uniquely American. I am not normally a nativistic jingo, but I'll support the American-made classic because I actually prefer it to the more expensive European producers.

I know this may rub some of you the wrong way, but disagreement and preference is healthy and perfectly acceptable on a thread that is as civil and friendly as this one.

My friends, all the best...

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.