1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

As I wrote before, I have the nfb on the plaza last in colored 8 and I agree with you it is a great looking shoe. I did tbnk it looks bettterc than the Aberdeen last version, but I have some nfb in that last and love them.
    Alzso some, like citishoes and leather sole havye nfb on Barrie last. Plenty of toeroom there.
    Eitherr the nfbv or lwb is great shoe.. lab are all over the place. Plaza nfb more unique.

te name="sammy" url="/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/55470#post_6483479"]Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to clarify, I'm referring to the NST shoe, and not the boot. Here is a link to the shoe:
    http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Shell_Cordovan_Norwegian_Front_238.htm
    They are currently available for pre-orer for and October delivery. The Aberdeen last does not suit my foot- the toebox is a bit narrow for me. Personally, I think the NST style looks better on the Plaza than the Aberdeen last.[/quote]

2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Lovely whiskey LHS Uncle. Did you have a double sole put on this pair, and do they feel much different than the single leather soles?

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you
    I had the lhs changed from single sole to a double sole.
    it is definitely heavy then the single sole

4. sammy

sammy Senior member

Will do but why should the LWB fit differently than other Barrie lasted shoes? I have the suede blucher on the Barrie and it fits me just fine.

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

My LWB fit the same as my other Barrie shoes.

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Polish is the only real way to correct for color loss/changes in calfskin. If you aren't willing to use polish, at least occasionally, then a year from now a small water spot will be the least of your worries. Renovateur can only be expected to do so much. It may keep the leather in good condition (assuming you don't over use it), and keep a healthy looking "glow", but eventually it will remove color, and it won't hide all of inevitable scuffs and scratches. Of course, if you are actually after a "well aged" looking shoe, then disregard this. I'm not sure that's the case though, if you are very bothered by a few small water spots.

Shell is a horse of another color. [​IMG]

7. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

I have not had the experience that my lwb fit differently than other barrie-lasted shoes. Some have said that barrie-lasted boots fit them differently than barrie-lasted shoes. That has not been my experience either.

I have suede and cordovan barrie lasted shoes and suede and cordovan barrie lasted boots. They do not all fit identically out of the box. But the differences have been so marginal as to not, in my view, be worth noteworthy and, after a few wears, I would be hard-pressed to note any differences.

i will say this: my barrie-lasted unlined suede single leather soled ptb feels different on my foot than my barrie-lasted black cordovan double leather sole ptb. I suspect this is due to the very different soles and, to a lesser extent, the thinner, more flexible leather of the unlined suede v. lined cordovan. I don't notice a fit difference.

Some say barrie-lasted boots fit differently than barrie-lasted shoes. I guess some now say that lwb barrie-lasted shoes fit differently than other barrie-lasted shoes. Some people have written that their Alden size changes with last; boot v. shoe even on the same last; lace-up v. slip-on, etc. Some are very sensitive and persnickety. Some care more than others. Let your feet be your guide, but it likely won't matter.

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I'm kinda glad I haven't been officially fitted by an Alden dealer, as it would probably lead me to finding out that I "need" an oddball width or something. My feet don't complain with D widths, whether it be barrie/plaza/grant (only lasts I own). I did grab a pair of C width nst boots from LS on deep discount that fit, but haven't been worn at length yet.

I will admit, not being fitted by a knowledgable salesperson familiar with Alden has kept me from going for any loafers, as I would be concerned about the money spent should they not fit. AE shell patriot seconds fill that void for now.

9. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Gentlemen,
    In your experience is their no difference between Alden and Alden made for BB in terms of quality standards that Alden sticks to?
    Do members have a preference for the Alden cap toe 2160 (color 8) or the Alden for BB on snap last?

Appreciate your observation and preference on the above. Thanks!

10. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

No quality difference that I could tell.

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

BB might be more accommodating in terms of customer service

12. Rishi Kakar

Thank you very much for your feedback

13. Rishi Kakar

Thank you very much, that's very helpful.

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    black cap toe
    argyles otc

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. BeSpiffington

Now that is a dressy looking shoe. Very nice Uncle.

16. Rishi Kakar

I wore the 9016 today too uncle. This is the best looking dress shoe in the Alden stable. I think nothing comes close to this black shell beauty when it comes to dress shoes.

Fab choice; Very distinguished looking.

17. sazon

sazon Senior member

Uncle...superb looking shoe. You're making my wallet lighter!

18. hypomnema

hypomnema Senior member

[​IMG]

Picked up a pair of Greenwich boots at leffot today. Thanks to Che and Steven for their help.

19. Don L

Don L Senior member

20. BeSpiffington

Very nice wingtips Don L.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.