1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Good advice. I didn't know this. I would love to find whiskey, or even ravello, in shell. Have searched the web with no luck. I will try your approach.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Don L: And mine are Boots which also can be worn year round

+1

3. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Of course, Aldens - even the dark cordovans -- can be worn all year long. I wore black cordovan PTBs yesterday in 93 degree/100% humidity heat and, the day before, cordovan captoe bluchers with a suit. Conservative business days demand a certain kind of dress.

But I felt hot and wilted just looking in the mirror. Dressing with burgundy or black on your feet with dark colored pants does not do justice to summer.

That is why Alden makes whiskey cordovan, burnished tan, and blue and tan suede shoes.

Today I am wearing off-white suede Indy boots with tan pants and white shirt. Aldens, but Summer Aldens.

Let's see those when the weather is sizzling hot.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Citishoes in NYC has some exotic cordovans in PTB, longwings, captoe balmorals and NSTs.

5. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I'm intrigued by the Grant lasted wingtip bals. I wonder if this differs all that much from the look of the Hampton.

Everything else appears to be on the Barrie. :mad:

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

shame. the jcrew ludlow store had 11d in ravello, slightly worn.

fransboone also has cigar lwb but only in 10.5

happy hunting!

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

[​IMG]

Wore my new snuff suede flex-welts today. They will take some getting used to. I'm so used to wearing 1lb 10oz boots with lining and double leather soles that these feel like I have nothing on. Almost "squishy" and insecure. [​IMG] I think they will be super comfortable for lounging about but not for any heavy walking.

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Can anyone tell me the best place to get Colour #8 loafers online please?

9. dranguschu

dranguschu Active Member

I want to buy a pair of #8 color cordovan Tanker but I am not sure which size fit me, is us10d an appropriate size for me ?

I am now wearing
    Tricker's stow 4497s lasts, fitting 5 or 6, us 9.5
    Tricker's bourton 4444 lasts fitting 5, us 9 or 9.5

Thank your for any advices

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  10. sazon

sazon Senior member

Wow ! NICE!

11. sazon

sazon Senior member

Perfect. Just perfect.

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I assume you're asking about the LHS loafer.
    They're going to be the same price at any retailer in the USA and they rarely get marked down.
    The difficult part for you is going to be finding one that ships Aldens internationally.
    The usual suspects like Shoe Mart won't ship Aldens overseas.

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Me
    4497 9.5UK
    4444 9.5UK boot, 9UK shoe
    Barrie 10.5US.

If you can wear a fitting 6 4497, you might need an E width in Alden.

14. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Success...........FINALLY! For the first time, I am really happy with the shine on what were previously abused LHS color 8 shell's. Before I share my method, I want to say thanks to all of the members of this site who graciously gave advice.

First, there is really no sage wisdom I can impart. The overwhelming majority of my time involved good ole elbow power. While technique definitely helps, this is mostly an exercise of effort and perseverance. After seeing some of the amazing shines on this site, I was determined to make the effort.

My last 3 shines I have started off by scrubbing slightly with a damp/wet towel (aka Mac method). I have also declined to use any polish or wax as I attempted to completely remove all residue and leftover polish. This was the first time that when I finished wiping with the damp towel that the towel was completely white. This gave me comfort that I had finally got all the old gunk out. The last time I cleaned them I used a bit of Saphir renovater and this undoubtably helped in this regard.

After wiping, I brushed with a horsehair brush for about 5 minutes per shoe (until it felt like my arm was going to fall off). I then boned each shoe (still can't say that with a straight face) with a dear bone. Rather than boning one and letting it sit while boning the other, I boned a shoe and immediately brushed with my horsehair brush. I wanted to spread the oils that the bone raises immediately after boning. Moved to the other shoe and used the same procedure.

Used a little Saphir renovater, brushed, and buffed. Then, for the first time in 3 cleanings, I applied a tiny amount of Saphir cordovan wax. Brushed some more and buffed. Then brushed some more. I'm finally happy with the results. Unfortunately I don't have any before pictures, but here is the after.

[​IMG]

Again, thanks to all for some very good advice.

2 people like this.
  15. sazon

sazon Senior member

This pic really makes me think I need some LHS
    hmmmmmmm....

16. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

wow.

I wonder if I could get my AE brown patriots to look that good. they are very hazy, seems some renomat might be in the works for them

17. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Does anyone know who carries an nst tanker boot on a double leather soul?

18. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

20. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.