1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Distinguished Member

hmm, definitely don't trust my local grouchy cobbler..

maybe b.nelson could do it whilst installing some flush mount taps.. must find out

[email protected]!

2. MrDV

MrDV Distinguished Member

ravello lwb crepe sole. my most comfortable aldens. i wore them to disneyland last week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Broark

Broark Senior Member

Hey guys, so I pulled the trigger on my first pair of Aldens. I ended up getting the natural chrome excel Indy and I love 'em, couldn't be more happy with the boot.
    Any basics as far as care and things like that? I'll try and snap some photos soon.

4. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior Member

i think the consensus with CXL is some protectant like Venetian Cream, Pitch Blend, or Alden Fine boot cream. Popularity in that order... I used pitch blend. And brushing.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

Was down in New York for the weekend and was so excited to hit the Alden store looking for a pair of shell Chukkas (either Cigar or Ravello). To my surprise and disappointment I had one of the worst retail experiences of my life. The guy working there was so rude to me I could not believe it!! I called twice yesterday to confirm what time they opened this morning as I was tight for time. When I arrived at 9:35 for a 9:30 opening the salesman told me that he doesn't like to open the store until 10:00 because he had things to do. He then tried to convince me that I don't know the sizing of my foot and that I should be an E width as opposed to D; I am sure it was just a coincidence that they had a Cigar chukka in an 8E but not D...Needless to say they did not fit my feet right at all. I am only giving some of the top level details but it was such an awful experience I am considering calling back this week to complain. I am treated with more care over a $5 pair of athletic socks than I would treated over a $700 pair of shoes.

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Distinguished Member

^ Was it Ralph? Middle aged guy?

Maybe he thought you were just there to try-on and not buy. I know he HATES that.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

Yes, I believe that's who it was. I told him off the bat thati had come down from Boston with the intention to buy a pair soi have no idea why he would have thought that. He was so rude the entire time I was there it was unbelievable.

8. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

I know many use the Mac method for caring for their Aldens, does anyone have a comment on the method advised by Kirby Allison? It will be time to polish some of my precious Aldens but I am quite nervous as I've never done it before. Commenting on the post above I recently had an excellent experience albeit over Internet with Alden in new York. All of my emails were returned within an hour of sending of sending them and them and i was able to acquire my first pair of cigar indys.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

Meltonian Suede protector or AE suede spray. Both work well.

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

The gentleman who assisted me was named Anthony. He stated that I contacted anyone in the store to complete my transaction, hebstated they don't work on commission which struck as quite odd for retail.

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

looking good in your gunboats and argyles

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

Any notice that heavy brushing dries out their CXL? Like if i brush the side of my boot pretty heavily I'll notice hairline cracks that are a light brown.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

One very easy option to care for them: just use (1) Saphir Reno, allow to fully dry, (2) brush, and (3) then buff with flannel cloth.

14. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior Member

i've never noticed this.

15. REguy

REguy Senior Member

Here's something a little different. I saw these Alden golf shoes on the eBay.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.