• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olifter

Reaction score

I've got a sizing question.......if I'm a size 11B on a Brannock Device (and 11B in Allen Edmonds 5 last), how does that translate into the various Alden lasts?  I know that narrows are few and far between, and from what I've read it's smart to size down .5 in most cases.  Is this accurate?

Not sure if this will help, however, I wear 10E in the AE 5 last, 9.5D in the Barrie and 10D in the Hampton.

Reaction score
I prefer the Brooks wingtip because it has metal eyelets.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As follows, I wouldn't worry about it. CXL is a very soft, supple leather. It will pick up creases or the leather will "roll" at stress points. CXL also picks up scuffs very easily, but you can brush and buff them out easily too. It goes with the territory so to speak. Consider hitting it with some Venetian shoe cream. It can't hurt.
Is creasing like this on CXL normal prior to actual wear? Will it balance itself out or its the usual Alden QC issue?
I would think it's fine. Sometimes it's just how the hide is - whether identifying that an not utilizing the hide in the first place is another question. But, as always, if it bothers you enough, return them.
looks like normal CXL imo. as you wear more, youll see more creasing. my brand new natural cxl tanker that just showed up have a similar finish in certain spots
That looks like growth marks in the leather. I don't think any amount of cream is going to make that go away.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like growth marks in the leather.
I don't think any amount of cream is going to make that go away.

Oh no, but a little Venetian never hurts, and I usually feel better afterwards . . .

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew x Alden Indys after a short brushing and some new laces. Feel like a new man.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleaned up a bunch of shoes last night while watching tennis and drinking IPAs

Cordovan Chukka Family, L-R
Whiskey Chukka (a year and a half old), Alden Madison
Whiskey Chukka (unworn), Alden SF
Ravello Chukka (unworn), Shoe Mart
Cigar Chukka, Alden Madison
I also have CXL and navy suede chukkas... I am wavering on both of the middle chukkas. I may send back/sell one or both of them and go for a color 8 chukka at some point.

Cordovan wingtip family, L-R
Ralph Lauren Marlow, RL Madison Avenue
Cigar Longwing, Alden of Carmel
Ravello Longwing, Alden SF (unworn, but will be worn a bunch soon)
Whiskey Wingtip, Alden DC
I have a color 8 longwing on antique soles from Leffot on order

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello tassels from Leffot

Black penny loafer, Grant last, Alden Madison

Natural CXL Indy from Leffot... I have used pitch blend on these, I may hit these up with Saphir or Venetian at some point

Hermitedge

Reaction score

Oh no, but a little Venetian never hurts, and I usually feel better afterwards  .  .  .

That looks like growth marks in the leather.
I don't think any amount of cream is going to make that go away.

Well then, is that common on CXL for certain finishes to be like that? Will it get worse? I can live with it, but if it gets worse I'd be a little annoyed. This is the 2nd one I've exchanged so far...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe it will get worse. At least I haven't noticed any more on my boots.

I'd say creasing like that along the throat is common. The throat on boots gets flexed more than say the toe cap even during the fabrication process. I just expect to see it.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J Crew x Alden Indys after a short brushing and some new laces. Feel like a new man.

Only brushing or did you use any product on those? I like the shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads