• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

localman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's very close but there is something about the Leffot coloring that is just somehow a lot richer than the Shoemart version. I'm not sure if it's just the photographs or not or if anybody has any fit pics of that shoe that they can post that would probably be helpful as well. Thanks though for the reply!

[/SPOILER]

Looks like the J. Gilbert "Tan Wing Tip Boot." See Alden-of-Carmel's website for photos.
I think I'm in a similar boat with those that I am in with the Shoemart pair. Thank you for your reply!

localman

Reaction score
Returned those shoes to a local J Crew. Not only did they put in an overnight order, for free, they gave me a $50 giftcard. Not bad.
If nothing else J. Crew has always exhibited beyond fantastic customer service to me when a problem has arisen. Glad to see that you got the same experience.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/IMG][/IMG] Brand new PTB's. Tell me someone that your jealous.

Last edited:

Organika

Reaction score
In most cases I see a van last is comparable to the barrie. I am a 9E in the barrie, can't fit any slip-ons right now due to my location. Would like to hear some opinions if you take same size in van last as barrie or go up half a size, thanks.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I need help with a cordovan boot that has a waxy finish . I brush and brush and it doesn't get the bright shine that I see in all these other pics. They are C and J not Alden's but shouldn't they still shine up? Thank-you for the help

If you are talking the current captoe shell boot BB sells (C&J for BB) - $998, you most likely will not be able to achieve the same level of shine of various Alden shells, no matter what you do. I have them. Mine shined nicely after an application of saphir reno, but still not to the level of some of my Alden shells. Don't worry about it .... they are still great boots.

I don't know what C&J do to their cordovan, but they're a royal PITA if you want to get that cordovan to shine.
When new they're really loaded up with brown polish which gives them kind of a dull finish.
It takes a lot of buffing and brushing to get rid of it. Saphir reno does seem to help.
After a while you can get rid of the excess and it's easier to maintain the shine.

When I was a cordovan newb, I made the mistake of using too much brown polish on my Marlows. It didn't do any damage but it make the dullness worse and took even more time getting rid of the excess.

jvc44

Reaction score
Thanks zippy , I fit a nice shine on toe caps sides look dull though , I guess they will be ok with denim. Damn wish I bought aldens

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone own these LWB? curious how they look in real life photos.. thanks in advance

pfurey

Reaction score
I had ordered those (if they're the #8 lwb with crepe sole) and they're beautiful in person. The soles on mine came murdered out, which was nice, as it almost looked like a normal leather sole but much more comfortable.

I'm looking forward to getting a new pair in tomorrow though without the stain on the cordovan.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had ordered those (if they're the #8 lwb with crepe sole) and they're beautiful in person. The soles on mine came murdered out, which was nice, as it almost looked like a normal leather sole but much more comfortable.

I'm looking forward to getting a new pair in tomorrow though without the stain on the cordovan.
nah these are brown calf on crepe from shoemart.

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding horses, I have not had any per se but have eaten grilled zebra in Nairobi.

Would zebra shell be rarer than #4?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads