• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

I miss Charm City, but not its cold, wet winter weather...  go Ravens!

Go Ravens, indeed. I root for three teams: the Buffalo Bills, the Ravens (to the extent it doesn't interfere with my Bills), and whoever is playing the Patriots on a given day.

Something about the absurdity of posting pics of my shoes in mid-day is immensely appealing. #8 Wingtip Boot Plaza Last Commando sole from Yenni

Nice-looking wtb.

I have a pair of suede in Plaza and Leydon.  They are nice lasts.  I particularly like the chisel toe on the Plaza.  Unfortunately, they are a pain to fit (for me at least).  The suede make-ups are OK as they have quite a bit of give to them.  Certainly, though, I take a narrow width on these lasts which are difficult to get unless you pre-order.

I love the Plaza and Leydon. I've got the opposite problem, where I need a wide width. Wish I was a D in the worst way...but that would be bad for my wallet!

3) Some mix and match both (I would put myself in this category)

I'm with Alcibiades. Aldens go well with everything. I wear suits to work most days, and rock my Earnest Sewn in evenings and on the weekends. I like the versatility of the PTB, for example. It's never the trendiest thing on the block, but it works for me with both.

nephew,
looking good in your cigar

Thanks, Uncle.

Does this seem normal or would you guys return them? Looks like excess dye or water, not sure if it would go away with wear.

Paid retail at J Crew.

I would return those guys, personally.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does this seem normal or would you guys return them? Looks like excess dye or water, not sure if it would go away with wear.

Paid retail at J Crew.

These shouldn't have made it out of the factory. Definite return.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Horse meat some come with a sort of stigma in the US, but in Europe, especially France it's eaten quite often. If I'm not mistaken, Horween's horse hides come directly from France, and are only taken from work horses that are used for the meat market. They don't use horses that are bred in cages like chickens, otherwise I could imagine that the cordovan would have a much worse quality if the horses weren't healthy.
In fact, eating horse meat was quite common at one time in the USA. It has fallen out of fashion in the last few decades however.

Horses are not killed just for their skins.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The more I see and hear about the Plaza last the more I like it. I want to try that last next but also want to give the Grant last a shot.  The Modified last is my best fit although I have some Barrie-lasted boots as well.  Looks wise, I prefer Modified boots to Barrie boots but from the pics, the Plaza would seem like it would be my favorite.  If only it will fit me as well as the Modified does.

Other preferences that have changed over time --- I used to lean towards storm/reverse welts because I liked the look.  I still like the look but many of the boots with storm welts end up looking too wide and big so I now lean towards a plain flat welt.  I also like the smooth look of 360 welting but have found that I actually prefer the close heel at 270 because it makes for a sleeker looking heel that is not so wide.  Anyway, just some random thoughts I was having...

If I could have but one Alden last, it would be Plaza.:nodding:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello Guys, Sorry to bother you with a usual sizing problem, but here it is. Living in France, I have access to very few alden Sizes and lasts, so I'd appreciate your help. I'm considering either a captoe boot or LWB. Here is what I've tried so far :
  • size 10 B/D on Copley last : overall length, but way too tigh on both foot sides
  • size 10 B/D on Grant last : overall length OK, ball width quite fine, but a bit tight at the external little toes
Having a quite (but not too much) flat and wide foot, my question is as follows :
  • May a 10 C/E be enough to get this extra toe room on Grant, or should I go 10.5 B/D ?
  • Same for Barrie (10D enough as it may be rounder ? 10E ? 10.5D) ?
For example, in other brands, lasts I feel extremely comfortable in are C&J 325 last, Tricker's 4444, and Carmina Rain for dress shoes (any of them in 9.5 UK) Again, sorry for the crappy question
smile.gif
C&J 325: UK8.5E Grant: 9.5D Barrie: 9D

localman

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Quick question for you. I was looking for a pair of Alden wing tip boots but can't seem to find anything currently in stock in a makeup that I like. I know that there are several companies that do collaborations with Alden but don't have an extensive list.

So if anybody knows of anything that looks somewhat like this I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

Thank you!

pfurey

Reaction score
Returned those shoes to a local J Crew. Not only did they put in an overnight order, for free, they gave me a $50 giftcard. Not bad.

Todd V

Reaction score

Hey everyone. Quick question for you. I was looking for a pair of Alden wing tip boots but can't seem to find anything currently in stock in a makeup that I like. I know that there are several companies that do collaborations with Alden but don't have an extensive list. So if anybody knows of anything that looks somewhat like this I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know. Thank you
Looks like the J. Gilbert "Tan Wing Tip Boot." See Alden-of-Carmel's website for photos.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^You're making me a little dizzy

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitly return if it bothers you at all .I have a pair of ravello that has a very similar thing .Seems to be in the leather itself but I only paid 90 bucks for mine .At that price it is hardly noticeable.

jvc44

Reaction score
I need help with a cordovan boot that has a waxy finish . I brush and brush and it doesn't get the bright shine that I see in all these other pics. They are C and J not Alden's but shouldn't they still shine up? Thank-you for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads