***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

To develop the topic of belts - I have navy suede LWB coming from Leffot ([​IMG]), but I'm not sure what would be a good belt to pair with them. I guess it's not necessary to limit myself to navy belts (which are rather rare AFAIK), but what else, dark brown, tan?

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

You can have a belt MTO. I have a few MTO belts. They're really no more expensive than anywhere else. You can do shell, suede, CXL, etc.

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

moleskin u can find it with the foot aids in most drugstores.As a skier I couldnt live without it .Great boots

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Great boots. #8 is a good choice, I think. In re the discomfort, looks like you are wearing thick socks for the weather. That may
    contribute.

5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Update:

Sent Alden a berating email late last night. They promptly replied by trying my phone early this morning. I was getting ready for work and missed the calls this morning, but they called again @lunch for me (PST). I appreciate their perseverance in trying to reach me by phone - old-school customer service.

The guy on the phone profusely apologized for returning back dirty boots, and admitted that was an oversight. The box situation he said was standard practice for shipping between dealers and the factory. Thinking J. Gilbert dropped the ball here.

I was offered either one of the small leather accessories or shoe trees, plus some paste wax and an original box and shoe bags. I took the trees.

Alden redeemed themselves in my eyes for their prompt customer service in rectifying the situation and abating my dissatisfaction. They will get my business again. Back on Alden-wagon, lol.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Good to read this. Disaster averted.

Also:

[​IMG]

My Cigar/Ravello hybrid.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

7. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

I have and love the blue suede chukkas and feel they get a bye on the belt-shall-match-the-shoes guideline. So I wear brown, needlepoint, or my British racing green bridle belt from Equus. It's another "color" but not the same, and that seems to work. Should you want to match, however, Equus does have a good looking blue bridle leather. Charlie is a pleasure to deal with and his craftsmanship is top notch. Highly recommended.

8. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I see lesthersoul has a preorder up on a few styles. I have never done a 1-2 year pre order though but it is just 100

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

There appears to be genuine disagreement over the authenticity of one piece shell belts.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/222512/one-piece-cordovan-belt

Some folks allege it can't be done, at least not with hides from Horween.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so I don't really care.
    I'd be glad to hear from a shell belt expert, if there is such a thing.

This is not a knock on AE belts. I have plenty (calf), and am wearing one riight now.

10. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Quote:
    Wow. They're really just cigar, right? I covet.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Economically, shell belts would seem to have to be made from the remnants of shell hides after shoes are made. This appears to be how wallets, key fobs, etc are made. It seems unlikely to me that you would be able to get a single strip leather long enough for a full belt.

12. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Looking good! Details on the jeans please.
    FC you've been posting some great outfit pics on here & the EP thread, carry on.
    Good lighting is a must for a great picture.
    They will break in after a few wears. Nice purchase & as always wear them in health.
    AE has a navy suede belt http://m.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF97692_1_40000000001_-1
    Looking sharp! It's always great to see a fellow granny knot fan posting. :)

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The pre-orders are up? Why didn't you say so!

14. Burton

Burton Senior member

Interesting - thanks, Seven. I think if you watch the Horween videos you will see shell hides large enough to make into belts. My belt feels and acts like regular shell - It does not have a Horween stamp and I don't remember any of the packagaing stating it was Horween, so it likely is from the Japanese tannery. I know BB used their shell for a while. It has served me well for quite a few years and it matches better than any other belt I have.

15. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Icy and cold. Was a good day for the work boots on the crepe
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.