1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

black tassels
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Don L, outstanding #8 medallion cap toes my friend. Are they the Alt Wiens from Epaulet? They look really good.

3. BeSpiffington

Uncle Mac, very snazzy combo. You are the Mayor of Tassel town.

4. Don L

Don L Senior member

Indeed. Fantastic build and highly recommended

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

They really do look outstanding! I keep revisiting Epaulet's website in hopes that someone returns a 10.5. It hasn't worked yet.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

^^ The black shell tassel (factory version or BB version) is possibly the dressiest tassel of any maker - shell or calf. I highly recommend them.

7. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Re the search for Leydon-lasted chukkas: It might make sense to check in with NeedSupply. I've had a wonderful experience buying from them. They answered my questions thoroughly and quickly via PM. IIRC, they offer a 10% discount to SF members each month (not sure if they're still doing this). While I don't think I saw chukkas on their site last time I looked, they are an Alden dealer and, therefore, could arguably have the Leydon chukkas drop shipped to you. Best of luck in the hunt! My Leydon chukkas feel like slippers and have been super comfy to wear in hot, humid weather.

In another matter, all the color 8 talk inspired me to share my most acquisition, a pair of Plaza-lasted wt boots in color 8 from LeatherSoul, who threw in a free pair of shoe trees as a thank you for my previous orders. Here are some iPhone pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're dressier, yet even comfier than all of my Barrie-lasted shoes and boots. Now, if only someone created a Plaza wt boot in Ravello...

Question for Uncle: I've started giving more thought to getting some tassels. Can one rock these ok under the age of 40?

Final thought: I wish I pulled the trigger on the Alt Wiens from Epaulet when I had a chance. You guys who did are looking good. Wear in great health!

1 person likes this.
  8. BeSpiffington

Awesome boots Doc. Very classy! +1 on a plaza lasted Ravello boot.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

1. My plaza-lasted shell boots are easily my favorite shell boots.

2. As for the tassels inquiry (whether those under 40 can pull it off), Mac has, as I recall, opined on this previously. His answer was yes. I agree with him.

10. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

^^^ Semms to me Mike at Epaulet suggested that there would be other Alt Wiens coming.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I agree. It is not a matter of age, rather a matter of style. So the question you should really be asking yourself is whether or not you have the right mien to pull off the tassel.

I said once before that not just anyone can pull off the tassel look, however, when done correctly, it is a force to be reckoned with.

Brogueing is not really my preferment, however, I must say that these are a great change of pace in a world where LWBs are so prevalent. Like a breath of fresh air.

12. Don L

Don L Senior member

Incoming......

Nah, just kidding. Had to move the boxes to the closet to make more room for shoes
    Thought a group shot was in order
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. sazon

sazon Senior member

doc: awesome boots. plaza is the best last for boots, IMO.

alden x leathersoul Alpine boot, commando sole

[​IMG]

14. sevenfoldtieguy

I completely agree with Backes11711 that not just anyone can pull off the tassel look (under 40 or over). I have some coworkers of similar age that, if they attempted the tassel, would look downright goofy. But this has everything to do with their overall sense of style (basically none), and not their age.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

16. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

I have to go with Uncle here. My first Aden BB Shell Cordovan #8 Tassels were purchased BBNYC when I was 23. Staple shoe in thoses days... I've always replaced that shoe until recently I went with the Marlow Tassel as I like the color better.

17. Spencer Schulte

Spencer Schulte Member

First pair of Aldens just arrived: tan Barrie-lasted J.Gilbert wingtip, commando-soled boots. I primarily used the forum to get sizing right. Thankfully, the fit came pretty close. I'd hate to have to exchange/sell these beauties.

I'm doing the Mac method this afternoon as I get some research done this afternoon from home. Can't wait to get them out on the street.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. stewboy

stewboy New Member

Spencer,

Those look great. As it happens, I've got the exact same boots (in a size 10.5 E) from J. Gilbert coming in this afternoon. I'd ordered some that came in last January that were too narrow, so this has been a long wait. But well worth it.

19. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Congrats! Welcome to the club, Sir.

After a very 'Methodical' brushing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poor Man's Argyles (Uniqlo)
    [​IMG]

Alden Color 8 35mm Belt W. Nickel Buckel
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.