• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

100 yrs

Reaction score

You know what the Leathersoul sale for Alden, makes me understand...now more than ever, what a freaking markup there is on these shoes.. How you cann all of a sudden sell $515.00 shoes for $195.00. So it cost maybe $75.00 to $100.00 to make the shoes. maybe $150.00 if cordovan.

i've always heard general rule of thumb for markup is 2.5x, but i'm sure there's plenty of mba's that read this thread who could expound upon the point further.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

You know what the Leathersoul sale for Alden, makes me understand...now more than ever, what a freaking markup there is on these shoes.. How you cann all of a sudden sell $515.00 shoes for $195.00. So it cost maybe $75.00 to $100.00 to make the shoes. maybe $150.00 if cordovan.

That's true. No other products that we know and love on SF every go to 60% off.

cfrp

Reaction score
sorry what was the leathersoul sale like? Must have missed it somewhere in the past few hundred pages haha

FENWAY

Reaction score

If you're 11.5 Barrie, Shoe Mart had three pair of the J Crew #8 cap boot on the seconds shelf today...looked good. Also a beautiful chromexcel wingtip blucher, and a #8 plain toe on the Modified. Ask for Bob.

Forgot to mention a unique black shell Indy on leather sole in size 10....snag 'em!

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've always heard general rule of thumb for markup is 2.5x, but i'm sure there's plenty of mba's that read this thread who could expound upon the point further.
Not an MBA (yet...) but it varies on the industry. My guess would have been that the retailers profit is 30%, but that is just my guess. I'm sure there are some circumstances where markup is 2.5x.

I think you also have to consider two other factors.

Price as determined by market forces (supply/demand)

Cost of production (Cost of inputs, labor, economies of scale and synergies)

I always thought a shell model cost the retailer somewhere around $400 (give or take), but again, just a guess.

plato

Reaction score
wait... what sale? I'm not seeing anything on their blog and just reread the last few pages of this thread. There's a sale on now?

Edit: Any details about what's on sale would be great.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not an MBA (yet...) but it varies on the industry. My guess would have been that the retailers profit is 30%, but that is just my guess. I'm sure there are some circumstances where markup is 2.5x.

I think you also have to consider two other factors.

Price as determined by market forces (supply/demand)

Cost of production (Cost of inputs, labor, economies of scale and synergies)

I always thought a shell model cost the retailer somewhere around $400 (give or take), but again, just a guess.

I think it depends on the merchandise sector. For lower volume durables, I usually see the dealer discount at 40-60%. On clothing items (shirts/pants/etc) the mark-ups can go to astronomical levels.

millerbk

Reaction score
Here is the list from LS they might have more than this available. This list was based on my shoe size. Hope this helps.

This is a sale on select Alden shoes in large sizes 10D~12D.

Snuff Suede Slipon Chukka Boot(Copley last) 11D: $250
Loden Green Comfort Indy Boot(Trubalance last) 10D: $295
Cognac Soft Calf NST Blucher(Barrie last) 10.5D: $295
Oiled Nubuck Pitt Boot(Barrie last) 10E, 10.5C: $295
Tan Suede Tassel Loafer(Plaza last) 10.5D, 11D: $250
Dark Brown Suede Semi Brogue Oxford(Plaza last) 10.5D, 11D: $250
Black Cordovan Gore Slipon(Copley last) 11D: $395
#8 Dark Burgundy Cordovan Chukka Boot(Plaza last) 11D: $395
Burgundy Calf Attorney Shoe(Plaza last) 10.5D: $250
Tan Suede Plain Toe Oxford(Plaza last) 10.5D, 11D: $195
Madison Semi Brogue Blucher(Barrie last) 10.5D: $195
Snuff Suede Plain toe Blucher(Barrie last) 10.5D: $250

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, LS-sale was really unadvertised (walk in only). Call them for a listing of things in your size (although it is only bigger sizes in general)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is the list from LS they might have more than this available.  This list was based on my shoe size.  Hope this helps.

This is a sale on select Alden shoes in large sizes 10D~12D.

Snuff Suede Slipon Chukka Boot(Copley last) 11D: $250
Loden Green Comfort Indy Boot(Trubalance last) 10D: $295
Cognac Soft Calf NST Blucher(Barrie last) 10.5D: $295
Oiled Nubuck Pitt Boot(Barrie last) 10E, 10.5C: $295
Tan Suede Tassel Loafer(Plaza last) 10.5D, 11D: $250
Dark Brown Suede Semi Brogue Oxford(Plaza last) 10.5D, 11D: $250
Black Cordovan Gore Slipon(Copley last) 11D: $395
#8 Dark Burgundy Cordovan Chukka Boot(Plaza last) 11D: $395
Burgundy Calf Attorney Shoe(Plaza last) 10.5D: $250
Tan Suede Plain Toe Oxford(Plaza last) 10.5D, 11D: $195
Madison Semi Brogue Blucher(Barrie last) 10.5D: $195
Snuff Suede Plain toe Blucher(Barrie last) 10.5D: $250

Someone ought to grab that attorney shoe - perf captoe bal.

fitchottie

Reaction score

That is why we are the way we are. Stuff goes overseas because we need more money and more profit. Do you really need to make 300 to 400 dollar profit for one pair of shoes.I am still buying them, but damn if that was not an eye opener.At that price all you should get is perfection.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is why we are the way we are. Stuff goes overseas because we need more money and more profit. Do you really need to make 300 to 400 dollar profit for one pair of shoes.I am still buying them, but damn if that was not an eye opener.At that price all you should get is perfection.

Which is why we get what we get because we keep buying them anyway.

tmw

Reaction score

You should have each of those shell colors in each one of those models!
nod%5B1%5D.gif
In all seriousness though, if you could only have one of each, I would go with the ravello LWB, cigar PTB, and the color 8 LHS. However, you could probably go with any combination with the options you've laid out and still be in great shape. I just happened to be a lover of the king of the gunboats... The ravello LWB would be my first choice for my first Alden shell, but that's just me.
I'm studying the picture of this Ravello PTB and realize that it looks much better than my pair. The difference being the dark welting and sole edge vs. the "antique stain" welt and sole edge on my pair. I may be doing a bit of customizing this weekend and will post before and after pics if I do. It's amazing how much the color and type of welting and sole can affect the look of a shoe...

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My cost on that $515 shoe is about $325 ($250 cost, $15 shipping, $60 commission + % rent). So, at $195 I am losing $130.

Still people are asking for more discount.

We do this because obviously the market is smaller for sizes over 10. The most common size in the US is about 9-9.5 and in Asia about 8-9. Yet we always get complaints that we don't have enough large sizes. Now you know the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads