• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you knowledgeable guys think about Peal and co cordovan boots? I am on the fence about keeping them .thanks

Is there something specific that is causing doubt? Size/fit, color, pattern, sole, coordinating items (pants, shirt), etc?

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

Alden needs work in the QC arena; no question about it. FWIW, so does AE.

And it seems to me there are two levels:
1. how do they leave the factory (to the retailer)
and
2. how do they leave the retailer (to the customer).

One of the retailers I work alot with knows that I am rather picky. He is decent enough to personally inspect the pair or pairs that are being shipped to me. If they are not satisfactory (based on what he knows of my standards), he tells me, and I don't buy them. Saves some frustration ..... And I have never met him in person.

Every QC issue I have encountered has been with a retailer that accepts returns for refunds, so that has made the bitter pill a little easier to swallow.

I would encourage fellow forumites to establish a relationship, if possible, with one or two or three retailers - a relationship of mutual respect. Believe me, it makes the overall Alden experience much better.

agree 100% on everything.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you knowledgeable guys think about Peal and co cordovan boots? I am on the fence about keeping them .thanks

Assuming you are referring to the ones BB currently offers, they are made by C&J. I own them, and like them. Their burgundy shell is somewhat different than Alden's 8 in terms of color and finish.

jvc44

Reaction score
The only questionable thing is the leather sole as I will be wearing these casually and they look dressy. I really don't know if I am better off with commando soles or a better brand

jvc44

Reaction score
I just received them from BB . The finish is not as shiny I am assuming,and color not as red? I have checked a lot if pics on this forum. Thanks for your help

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold some, bought these:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful ^^^^

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

funny, the other day i noticed that a couple of speedhooks on my #8 plain toe boots from j. gilbert were starting to pull out like yours Mario. i'm just going to ride out the rest of the boot season then take them in. it almost seems like the speedhooks can be clamped back together with pliers, and now i wonder if it's worth sending them all the way back to alden. i'll see what Yenni says.

I had the same problem with plain toe boots from J Gilbert. Alden fixed them once. The speed hooks got loose again. I sent the boots back 2 Yenni and she sent me a new pair. it seems many people have been complaining about this issue.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lovely purchase. Do you wear the same size and width for Barrie and Modified lasts? How do you find Barrie vs Modified?

I find the modified to be superior for me, unquestionably. I went up to 10.5D on the Barrie, and it's a good fit; I am a solid 10D on the modified. I can also do a 9.5E on modified, but I'm afraid to do an E width on Barrie, because of the strangely wide and low heel cup, even on the D. But for these, I made an exception. Trubalance fits me really well in 10D as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads