• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organika

Reaction score
Would like to hear opinions before a purchase. Out of these three shoes, LHS, Full strap, Tassel, which do you prefer for casual/work, yet everyday use. If the tassel is the most formal of the three, ordinarily it would still be worn with denim/casual clothing?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll settle for a black shell balmoral captoe. Had a pair on order. Just got notified that the order came in sans my special order size. Turns out that the shoes were damaged during fabrication and couldn't be delivered (after a six month wait). They were going to be my first pair of shell. Seems like a bad omen to me.

Psyched2

Reaction score

I'll settle for a black shell balmoral captoe.  Had a pair on order.  Just got notified that the order came in sans my special order size.  Turns out that the shoes were damaged during fabrication and couldn't be delivered (after a six month wait).  They were going to be my first pair of shell.  Seems like a bad omen to me.

Nope, it's just Alden's way of hooking you in. Their reinforcement schedule is worse than gambling.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not doing a good job. I'm ready to defect to Carmina and Viberg.

Edmund K

Reaction score
I'll settle for a black shell balmoral captoe. Had a pair on order. Just got notified that the order came in sans my special order size. Turns out that the shoes were damaged during fabrication and couldn't be delivered (after a six month wait). They were going to be my first pair of shell. Seems like a bad omen to me.

Did Alden only damage your pair? or the whole batch is gone? I am really sorry to hear that. It sounds like they're making experimental art piece.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, I'm not sure. It was part of a stocking order for Alden NY. They didn't mention any other pairs that weren't delivered. In my case, I asked for a special size, and they only ordered one pair in that size.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score

I'll settle for a black shell balmoral captoe.  Had a pair on order.  Just got notified that the order came in sans my special order size.  Turns out that the shoes were damaged during fabrication and couldn't be delivered (after a six month wait).  They were going to be my first pair of shell.  Seems like a bad omen to me.

Uh, I'm not sure.  It was part of a stocking order for Alden NY.  They didn't mention any other pairs that weren't delivered.  In my case, I asked for a special size, and they only ordered one pair in that size.

Sucks, man. Sorry to hear this.

If it's any consolation, a similar thing also happened to me recently. I preordered the #4 and black saddle shoe from J. Gilbert last year. After a lengthy wait, and being charged for the shoes (followed by a second lengthy wait, and a series of emails over the course of months containing weird excuses), J. Gilbert finally had to tell me mine was the only pair in the order Alden didn't deliver because they were damaged. Apparently, there was some issue with color variation such that the pair didn't meet Alden's high quality standards - snicker - and they weren't going to be able to make a second pair for me. So, after a long saga, I got my money back, but missed out on those saddles I coveted.

J. Gilbert was fine, but I wasn't real impressed with Alden in that instance, since J. Gilbert apparently had a tough time prying ANY info out of Alden about my order to share with me. Doesn't put the black shell bals on your feet, but at least you know you're not alone in that experience.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello Captoe from Alden DC, in bad lighting, but you all know the drill on these

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
J Gilbert #8 NST's today

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're not doing a good job.  I'm ready to defect to Carmina and Viberg.

I've looked at the Carmina thread a bunch of times, but I haven't placed an order as E widths don't appear to be offered in most lasts and the MTO orders being taken overlap a lot with my Alden collection. I guess I'm lucky in that I can walk into Alden NYC or call up Alden DC/SF and get 9.5E or 10E in most models somehwat easily, and I can preorder those sizes in Leffot runs. I'm going to suggest a balmoral captoe shoe in shell cordovan on that thread now, but I haven't seen much demand for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads