***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

Can someone comment on the brown grain calfskin from Alden? Is it a versatile brown?

I have a walnut grain from AE, and I'm wondering how it compares to the Alden brown grain.

2. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

e-mail the manager of whatever store your interested in purchasing. all of their e-mails are on the site. i always purchase from LSBH, therefore i e-mail Bryan who never takes more than 24-48 hours to respond.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Bryan is also the only one there most days, unless they hired Joel full time.

4. sazon

sazon Senior member

I think this may have been asked before but I can't find it in the thread...Anyone ever remove the pull tabs from their boots? These tabs on my #4 boots are annoying me. Pants keep getting caught on them!

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Thanks for the post.

To be clear, I said "Traditional rules of fashion dictate that slip-ons (tassels, full strap, LHS, etc.) not be worn with suits." And to this rule I strictly adhere.

To also be clear, traditional rules of fashion dictate only balmorals with suits. To this rule I do not strcitly adhere. IMO, many bluchers are as dressy, if not dressier, than many balmorals - e.g., Alden for BB shell captoe blucher in color 8. And there are some monks, single or double, that are plenty dressy.

I would surmise that many in the "tassels are okay with suits" crowd would stop short of advocating an LHS with a suit. An LHS - which I have in color 8 and whiskey - is, IMO, at least one notch, if not 2 or 3 notches, down on the formal/casual scale.

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^LHS does have the word "leisure" in its name. :)

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

^True on all counts. Sorry for misquoting you.

Edit: While I am ballsy enough to wear LHS with a suit where corporate and local culture permit, I don't think I could do boot with a suit, even it it was a balmore boot.

Which do you think is lower on the formality spectrum, in the context of wearing with a suit? For question's sake, we'll say cap-toe blucher boot or LHS.

To add another twist, what if the boot had a commando sole?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

8. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

[​IMG]

These. 270 Barbour welt, eyelets and hooks, double leather sole. 2nd favorite iteration next to Epaulets, which is the same but with all eyes.

9. Don L

Don L Senior member

I would feel more comfortable with a Boot (even with Commando sole) than an LHS with a suit.

10. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Well I am going to buy either one of these tomorrow they are pretty close beside sole and last. Any opinions on which one. This will of course be a more casual boot so jeans and chinos with maybe a sport coat not tie

11. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Well hard to tell from my pictures but one is from NY alden and the other Carmel. Appears only difference visible is sole and welt

12. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

thwap. thwap. thwap. thwap.

That's the sound of me kicking myself.

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I don't know about the LHS, but I see plenty of guys in Gucci bit loafers and full strap penny loafers (like these from Allen Edmonds : http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF4809_1_40000000001_-1) all time in NYC. There is something about the hand stiching of the LHS that makes it look very casual for a suit.

For suits, I wear shortwing or longwing bluchers, balmoral captoes and wingtips, and tassel loafers. I also wore PTBs with suits (when I owned them) and would do so again. I have an EG monk strap shoe on order than I plan on wearing with suits.

I purchased black shell balmoral boots a while back. They were a bad purchase (I wear them too rarely for the cost and given they are Rider boots, they have little resale value), but I don't see why you couldn't wear that with a grey suit. Also, I don't see why you couldn't wear a captoe cordovan boot on a double leather sole with a suit. I wouldn't wear my commando sole cigar captoe with a suit (though I have worn them with wool trousers before).

14. Organika

Organika Senior member

Wow those have great color

15. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

AoC has a barrie straight tip cordovan and a plain toe in trubalance (both black shell). Both have the commando sole.

The black calf Indy gets no love but is an excellent makeup from them. I really wish someone would do a Pitt boot style in a different last than the barrie. May have to Vass mto....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.