• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What can you do about closed speed hooks? I got a pair of Indys and they had one speed hook that was really closed, so I returned them. My replacement pair had two speedhooks that were bent down / closed -.-

I just unbend mine with a butter knife. They are somewhat plyable.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, sorta scared that the stress will pop them out. But will do

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Its a shame the Barrie last won't work for me, I am going to have to settle for things like this.
smile.gif

Maiden voyage.

Beautiful! Aberdeen, correct? My dad just picked up the seude version of these during Sherman Bros. sale before xmas. He loves them.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, sorta scared that the stress will pop them out. But will do
+1. That is why I like the c-ring pliers. They spread from the inside out, so they put equal pressure on both sides of the speed hook, and they won't scratch the outside of the speed hooks either.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful!  Aberdeen, correct?  My dad just picked up the seude version of these during Sherman Bros. sale before xmas.  He loves them.

Yes - Aberdeen. I am extremely pleased with them.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been covered a million times, but in a lace-up Aberdeen you go TTS? I am a 9.5D TTS and wear a 9D Barrie. I do however remember sizing down a half on the BB Cordo Tassel, hence the question. I am mulling over a NST which I have never owned or tried on. Thanks for your reply.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know this has been covered a million times, but in a lace-up Aberdeen you go TTS? I am a 9.5D TTS and wear a 9D Barrie. I do however remember sizing down a half on the BB Cordo Tassel, hence the question. I am mulling over a NST which I have never owned or tried on. Thanks for your reply.

I am TTS in both the Aberdeen tassel loafers and the Aberdeen NST

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Aberdeen might be my last as I have low volume feet as in thin but D width. :embar:

Al_Merick

Reaction score
I received these yesterday, courtesy of Alcibiades! This is my first pair of shell and I know this is going to become an unhealthy problem. At any rate, I love this thread and will continue to admire and envy some of you!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aberdeen NST is TTS. Aberdeen slip-on, for me, is same size, but down in width.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No objection - I too find tassels classy. I have color 8 tassels with antique edging (BNelson).
However, the gent suggested he had a hard time finding slip-ons that fit, save for Grant lasted models. That fact, combined with various persons' struggles with the aberdeen, was the rationale behind my advice suggesting he retain both Grant lasted models, neither of which were tassels. Personally, if I were him, I would get a black shell tassel over the split-toe in question, but that wasn't the issue.
As for the "dressy" factor, I maintain the split-toe slip-on versus the tassels slip-on is mostly a toss-up, with a slight edge to the tassel. Having said that, the gent could wear either shoe with essentially any style of outfit save for a suit. I would wear neither with a suit. Indeed, I would not wear any slip-on with a suit. That, for me, is non-negotiable. Others see it differently. That is okay with me.

nephew,
good people can agree to disagree. you need to ride metro north fron ct to grand central terminal. tassels and suit were made for each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads