***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Speaking of black scotch grain Aldens, Black Fleece store may still have a few odd sizes left

2. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Deleted.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Plato/Mac - thanks very much! Confirmed that they are the RL C&J short wings.

Repp - they are AE walnut shell Strands; I bought them around this time last year and they have darkened a bit. I don't own the Strands in calf so I can't speak to a direct comparison. However, they are the most comfortable shells I own (likely because I've worn them for a year). I highly recommend!

4. smdbitchh

smdbitchh Well-Known Member

first day of 2013

Alden vanguard boot.

[​IMG]

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

6. LeCorb

LeCorb Member

Happy New Year!! I'm new to SF Alden thread. I went to NY Barneys today to try on couple pair of Alden shell and they were awesome. It was perfect today because most of the people at Barneys are crazy with the 60% sale on the other corner of the store and I got to try on different style of Alden shoes on the shelf. Which one will be a good one to start my Alden shell collection? p.s. I tried color 8 Plain toe blucher, Black cap toe blucher and a color 8 Plain toe chukka.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  7. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

This is how my mind is working lately. Just waiting on my whiskey before i venture into suede and calf offerings.

8. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Welcome to the thread. I hope you realize you were about two blocks away from Alden NYC...although that may have made your decision even more difficult.

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

What are your intended uses for your first Alden? The answer will have a significant impact on my suggestion.

And welcome to the thread. The folks are generally nice around here. :nodding:

10. sevenfoldtieguy

You may have a difficult time convincing yourself to buy calf after having shell. But I would suggest it is nice to have a variety - shoes and boots - shell, calf, suede. But mostly shell of course. :)

11. LeCorb

LeCorb Member

Casual and all year round. Mostly wear it with chinos and jeans.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Haaaaa, if only I could always be this fortunate

13. sevenfoldtieguy

Of the three you mentioned:
    1. color 8 PTB
    2. color 8 chukka
    3. black captoe blucher

For your intended uses, I would stay away from the black captoe blucher altogether. I have the black captoe blucher - and love it - but I don't wear them casually.

14. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I had the same issue as you have with the Ravellos, only with Cigar. The vamp on the right one was noticeably lighter. I read somewhere, probably here, about using neatsfoot oil to darken them. I was not afraid to try it as I played baseball and used glove oil and recall how that would darken the new leather. I figured worst case, it would do nothing and I was going to keep them anyway as I don't think anyone other than someone actually looking for the difference would notice. Besides, I really liked the Cigar and they can be difficult to come by. However, it worked out well.

15. Organika

Organika Senior member

Keeping the Whiskey should be a good choice. Over time the Whiskey hue all over the shoe should vary and the upper area your worried about may clean off itself or at least polish out to look good. The Ravello would be a tough choice and personal preference whether you could handle the difference, that is a hard pair to find : /

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.