***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hokie3000

hokie3000 Member

My first pair of shells...Ravello PTB's

[​IMG]

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I know this may not be the place to ask this, but I trust the followers of this thread more than others when it comes to shell offerings, so forgive me if I have crossed a line.

Do any of you own Carmina shells (or non-shell)? What is your opinion of the comfort and construction. I've come across a shell Fitzgerald which is comparable to the Barrie last at least according to Epaulet's website and was wondering. Is the extra cost worth the difference? Is their quality along the lines of the C&J, RL-Marlow? Other threads can be pretty harsh to Alden, and I just wanted to hear some feedback from other Alden enthusiasts who may have Carmina also.

Thank you in advance!

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've got a couple pairs of Carmina shells and I'm not 100% convinced the premium over Alden is worth it. But, they were Ruby shell and where else you going to find Ruby shell? No question that their finishing is superior to Alden though.
    They seem comparable to C&J/AS; maybe better.

4. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

So the redrafting reduced the size? By how much?

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^ReppTiePrepster: Whether the premium is worth it or not is going to be a personal decision. One consideration is that the Fitzgerald is offered in the equivalent of exotic colors (essentially Cigar and Whiskey), so a similar Alden makeup is likely to sell at a premium to #8 or black shell and be hard to acquire. The Forest last is very nice, though different from anything Alden offers. It is perhaps most similar in fit and style to the Aberdeen, IMO. The shell is Horween, of course, and the finish on Carmina shoes is very high quality. I don't own any CJ or AS, so can't compare.

I can recommend Epaulet very highly. The company is a pleasure to deal with and makes great efforts to offer unique makeups and to build short-run MTOs based on what customers want. You can special order your size and even a wide fitting in the Forest last. This is true even in their exotic shells. So if the style and the fit suit you, then I think both Carmina itself and Epaulet offer good value for the premium cost. I'm not going to say the shoes are better than Alden since I find much of the insistence on the superiority of one brand over another rather silly. We all love Alden here for what it is. I also enjoy Carmina for what it is. I'd say try a pair and see what you think for yourself.

6. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

Alden is the king of sophisticasual boots. The barrie and trubalance lasts are perfect for jeans and streetwear. I find Carmina lasts and styling to be on the dressy side. I wear them more with wool trousers and dress slacks. That's why there is a large thread on the MC side for Carmina.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    according to my grandchildren they do have heavy brown tones

8. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Well done, one of my favorite. Protect those with some Alden defender.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

welcome to the forum, good choice for first shell. remember shell is very addictive

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello full strap
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. Burton

Burton Senior member

Guys, I believe this information may be useful so I am following my original post with an update here. After a few e-mails back and forth, I sent the shoes back to Alden. This a.m. I received a call from a customer service person at Alden and he told me they should have no trouble recrafting the color back to the original. They are going to charge me $50.00 for the recrafting. In the past, I have had less than compelling experiences with Alden's customer service but I have to say I was really pleased with the phone call and the approach. I will follow up with pictures once I have them back.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Then it sounds like even your grandchildren have a decent handle on all things Alden. :D

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Burton, Don't forget to post photos when they come back.

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Thanks for the update. My experiences with CS at the Alden factory have been good. They take forever for a standard restoration - but they are very up front about their timetable - so I can't fault them for that.

15. Burton

Burton Senior member

I will definitely post the photos.

That was the suprising thing, the shoes arrived the 24th and they called me this a.m. and told me I would have them in my hands next week. I certainly have no compliants there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.