1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hkpm

hkpm Senior Member

Thank you guys.
    Just ordered a pair of whiskey chukka from Alden SF which is the same size of my barrie last ptb.
    I got a snug fit in my ptb, so hopefully the chukka would fit me as well.
    BTW, the whiskey chukka from SF should be in barrie last, right? Forgot to ask before ordering it, lol.

2. Burton

Burton Distinguished Member

Yes. If it is the two eyelet chukka it is Barrie.

3. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

Wow. Beautiful.

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

These look great. Chromexcel should suit an LWB nicely. I don't have Alden CXL, though there are quite a few on this thread who do. The leather is very sturdy and good in adverse conditions. It is on the casual end of the spectrum IMO and isn't going to shine like calf or shell. All that said, I think you will like these shoes.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

Go TTS.

7. Roguls

Roguls Distinguished Member

This is proper advice re: Barrie fitting.

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

Send them an email with the size you want. They will reply with photos of what they have in stock.

9. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

Who's offering these right now?

10. jimney

jimney Senior Member

I've got a pair of Chromexcel Alden x Epaulet Brixtons, and a pair of Oak Street Bootmakers Chromexcel boat shoes. I love them both, but the leather is definitely on the casual end. It seems to me like it tends to wrinkle a bit more at articulation points, but I'd wait on somebody else to confirm that. It does seem to resist water a bit more than my other shoes, and I think it could work well as a damp-weather shoe.
    Leffot.

11. kippy

kippy Senior Member

My experience for reference - I followed the general forum advice on roughly 1/2 dozen Barrie lasted shoes. I discovered that in order to get the perfect fit, I actually had to size down even further. My regular size is 10E. I ended up at 9E on both the Barrie and Trubalance last. I have low and wide feet.

There are a few things I did not account for in my original sizing that perhaps can help others new to Alden
    1. Wearing thin merino wool socks leaves extra room in your shoes. If you are used to wearing thicker socks and switch to thinner Marcoliani argyles, you should account for this in your sizing calculation.
    2. While cordovan does not stretch, the insole of the shoe conforms to your foot after a few wears. Your foot ends up a tad bit lower in the shoe so the effect is that the shoe feels a bit looser even though the leather has not stretched. All of the Alden boots/shoes I purchased in 9E felt a bit tight across the top of my foot the first few wears and then loosened up. I would not extend this logic to the fit of the shoes as it relates to the sides of your feet.
    3. The Alden combination last means the heel of the shoe gets larger as you go up in width. This makes getting a perfect fit difficult but not impossible for some of us whose foot width is not matched by heel girth. Where possible, I get Alden boots now since they tend to mask the issue of the heel not fitting as perfectly as it should.
    4. I have noticed size differences between various Alden shoe styles. For example, the cap-toes on the Barrie last feel a bit tighter to me and did not loosen up as I though they might. I eventually sold those. Plain toes feel a bit looser to me. Calf/Suede stretches out a bit more.

I would suggest there is nothing quite like going to the store and trying them on yourself to gauge the perfect fit. Do not compromise on fit irrespective of the beauty of the shoe.

12. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RMCPTS

[​IMG]

Merry Christams to all!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

13. Factor Xll

Factor Xll Senior Member

I find the CXL to scuff and scratch very easily. One thing to consider when looking at that CXL LWB.

14. Stewbone

Stewbone Senior Member

Does anyone know where to purchase flat waxed boot laces? My cat has an obsession with cordovan and likes the laces even more. :censored:

15. tmw

tmw Senior Member

OK, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.