1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afixedpoint

afixedpoint Senior member

I find the J. Crew #8 captoe on the Barrie to be very narrow relative to a LWB in the same size.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

If you have a wide-ish forefoot, your TTS size in Barrie would likely have an E width... So if you are TTS 10E, sizing down to 9.5E in Barrie tends to work really well. However, if an E width is not available, then it is best to stick with a 10D

From what I can tell, retailers are starting to order more E widths, which is a good trend for guys with wider feet

3. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I suppose it all depends on the individual. These different lasts are certainly a double edged sword. It's confusing, or can be, and maybe difficult to find your correct size, but the options are nice once you do.

In Allen Edmonds, I have some that are 10D and some 10E.

With Alden, I'm 10D in the Hampton last and 9.5D in the Barrie. I think the LWBs are the most comfortable shoes I own.

4. Burton

Burton Senior member

Sevenfold,

Quetion for you - I agree with the concept that PTBs run a touch smaller than other Barrie lasted shells. Do you think this follows for the Chukka which is kind of a PT? Very curious because I want the chukka but really only get a good fit with the PTB on Barrie.

5. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

I found the same thing with the Unionmade Captoe. The barrie seemed to run much narrower than in my PTB.

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

i dunno PTB and captoes in barrie fit the same

7. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

Is there a Allen edmonds or Florsheims last that match the barrie last for a size comparison?

8. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

Maybe it is because the Unionmade makeup is a boot? I don't know other than to say I feel a definite difference in how they fit. I don't know how else to explain it.

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I'm an 11D on the brannock with a slightly high volume foot. 10.5D on most barrie shoes works great but I had to go up to 11D on the J. Crew cap toe boot. Glad I had the opportunity to buy in store and try on both as I would have likely gone 1/2 size down if I ordered online.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

How do aldens soles hold up on a motorcycle? or should i look at red wings or LL bean

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Roguls, these cigar boots have got to be the most desirable boots for me. They are right at the very top of my list, and when I get past my two-month moratorium on boot purchases, I will patiently try to find a pair of these. Did you order these via phone or go to Paris to get them? I understand Anatomica won't deduct VAT but if you pick them up in Paris you can do that at the airport, right? And customs shouldn't charge duty since they are a US product, correct?

Anyway, that is an awesome pair of boots to own. Enjoy and thanks for sharing even though you were hung over!

12. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Happy Xmas eve. These are my Xmas present to myself.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

In my experience, chukkas fit slightly looser than PTBs, so, IMO, chukkas do not fit a touch smaller than other Barrie lasted shoes.

14. Burton

Burton Senior member

Thanks - I trust your experience on this. I doubt anyone here other than Mac has the wide of assortment of shell shoes you have.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  15. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I have noticed this as well. I wish they would go in the opposite direction too and start carrying more narrow shoes. Other than waiting 2 years for a pre-order, I have a hell of a time finding narrow widths.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.