• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started my morning off with my newest acquisition, a little whiskey courtesy of the guys at Alden SF.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

]What do you guys think the most casual model and color is?[/B] I was thinking either the chukka or plain toe boot from j crew would work. I'm only 20, and I don't have any need for dress shoes now or in the near future. I will be wearing these mostly with jeans and corduroys. I like the idea or cordovan because it seems like the raw denim of the shoe world. What do you guys think?

As far as calf goes, there would be little argument that this model - indy boot - is the most casual:
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...ld_m_indy_boot_high_top_blucher_workboot.html
However, there would be some Alden fans that would contend such a boot belongs on the work site and nowhere else.

As far as Alden's shell cordovan colors, whiskey is the most casual - and it's not even close. This PTB is a great casual shoe:
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...5_ald_m_plain_toe_blucher_shell_cordovan.html

Chaos_Cow

Reaction score
Cap toe boot, definitely. You can wear that with anything.

Started my morning off with my newest acquisition, a little whiskey courtesy of the guys at Alden SF.

Have you ever been sized? Are you sure you're not actually a half size smaller?

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/SPOILER]

I'm going to conduct an experiment... I have a whiskey chukka in 9.5E coming (which is my true size in Barrie). I'm going to Mac break-in method them then wear then a few times and compare the creasing to my whiskey chukkas in 10D, which have gotten 20+ wears by now. I will then post some photos. Look for it in early January (I will also then probably sell my 10D whiskey chukkas if all goes well)

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm going to conduct an experiment... I have a whiskey chukka in 9.5E coming (which is my true size in Barrie). I'm going to Mac break-in method them then wear then a few times and compare the creasing to my whiskey chukkas in 10D, which have gotten 20+ wears by now. I will then post some photos. Look for it in early January (I will also then probably sell my 10D whiskey chukkas if all goes well)

nephew,
looking forward to the results, thank you for doing

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm green with envy other those. Nice score. :satisfied:

Thank you. I have waited two years for these.

those look great with jeans

Thank you, I was a little surprised myself at how nicely they paired with denim. They also go nicely with my tan khakis.

Cap toe boot, definitely. You can wear that with anything.
[/SPOILER]

Yes, I have been, multiple times. I measure a true 9D on the brannock and these are an 8E. I have noticed that I get more rolls/creasing on my plain toe shoes than others, which may be because I have a lower instep. Unlike others here, the van last is my favorite and best fitting. I don't mind the rolls/creasing though, and actually prefer it because I think it is part of the beauty of shell.

Last edited:

Calikid

Reaction score
I'm betting the creasing will be pretty close....imo

ppith

Reaction score
I've been eyeing Alden Ravello LWBs ever since I saw them in person in Alden of San Francisco. I missed out on the order from Leather Soul (those were really short wings with antique trim) and Leffot (long wings with antique trim). I jumped at the chance to snag a pair after my brother informed me Alden of San Francisco had acquired them. Thanks to style forum for informing him! Here are a few photos I've snapped. I can't wait to break them in! These will hold down my brown/tan shoe fort until summer returns and I can wear my snuff suede shoes again. As far as the black vs antique trim goes, I can live with the black trim, but I would prefer antique. If I ever wear these out, I'll ask Alden if they can switch the trim when they are rebuilt. Apologies if these showed up in the main galleries. I meant to only upload these into my personal gallery. These are in a Barrie Last size 7D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads