***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

thats a SF members listing. and I would have bought them if they were a larger size [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

You'll probably never get them to be identical color. As many have said before, its just the nature of shell (color variation). You could try either of your ideas, but my prediction is that it will just change the color of the shoe, but not in a way that it will match its mate any better. You'll still just have two different colored shoes, and one is now a little lighter/darker than it was before. In the end, they won'd be any closer of a match.

If your one shoe was lighter because it was exposed to sunlight while the other was hidden in the box, it might work. But still I would be prepared to just live with it or get rid of them.

If anyone has ever been successful in getting two different shades of whiskey to match, please correct me.

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Good luck.
    Evil wifey spilled a drop of olive oil on some repello snuff suede Tricker's.
    Allegedly the repello means they're stain resistant. This pair wasn't. That olive oil soaked in like on a sponge.

I tried corn starch rather than baby powder. It didn't do much.
    Then I tried the saphir soap which helped a little but you can still see the stain.

5. jimney

jimney Senior member

I ended up getting Vibram sole-topper-things on my Epaulet Brixtons. I went to Gus' New Quality Shoe Repair on North Clark in Chicago, cost me $60.

Anyway, pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

How much do you guys reckon I could get from my NIB not worn J Crew Indys on ebay? I'm sorta thinking of selling them to fund a pair of natty cxl indys, I have the Roy boot in brown CXL and sorta want to explore the Alden rainbow more...

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Your best bet would be try to return them to J Crew - Indy boots are common, so you probably would have to sell at a discount to retail on ebay

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

If you ship Europe / Asia then close to retail but expect to get offers in 100s range with the most ridiculous justifications about why their price was reasonable

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Well I paid $338 for them from J Crew. So I stand to make a profit to be able to invest in natural Indys.. I know this is sorta dirty, but If there's a buyer than there's always a seller. And it's from J Crew who can piss up a rope.

haahaa, oh god i know exactly what you are talking about.

10. a bag of it

a bag of it Senior member

What do you guys think the most casual model and color is? I was thinking either the chukka or plain toe boot from j crew would work. I'm only 20, and I don't have any need for dress shoes now or in the near future. I will be wearing these mostly with jeans and corduroys. I like the idea or cordovan because it seems like the raw denim of the shoe world. What do you guys think?

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

J Crew cap toe boot + cuffed denim is pretty ballin

12. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

cigar gets my vote, ptb or indy boot

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Got excited until I saw the size (too big for me). Thought the same thing about the following two...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-for-L...5496651?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f2056c34b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-for-L...5492313?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f2056b259

I have another ebay gem arriving today. Will post pics later. Probably a good thing these three other Alden auctions didn't work out!

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Color 8 or cigar in a chukka or Indy boot would serve your purposes well.

15. a bag of it

a bag of it Senior member

I'm leaning heavily towards color 8, but I'm stuck between the indy boot, the cap toe boot from j crew, and the chukka.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.