***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poena

poena Senior member

got my size 9 color 8 PCT boots from Jcrew to replace the 8.5s

as for width they feel good but length feels/looks a little long but it's probably just in my head cause when I first opened the box I was like these look huge! I will wear around the house a couple times to see how I feel in a couple days.

2. Eleganza

Eleganza Active Member

Is creasing that serious of an issue? I thought that it simply made the shoe look better, as with all well worked and aged leathers.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

3. Burton

Burton Senior member

Shell purists are anti-creasing. Many, like myself, are not that concerned by it--and I think some creasing adds character. Afterall, they are shoes.

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I think the "issues" with creasing, especially with shell, are related mainly to aesthetics and not longevity (so long as the shoe is maintained properly). Some even like a decent amount of creasing, as Alcibiades described above.

5. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Fantastic man! Were these new old stock at a store or just new to you? I've been waiting for Alden NY to get a restock but it's still 8 months out...

I feel like this is one of the best whiskey make-ups to come out of the Alden factory.

6. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Also mind-blowing! There's somthing about a whiskey bal that turns my crank :slayer:

7. cero

cero Member

Thank you. This is what I wanted to know. So basically I am overreacting. I don't need to have it flawless, I just needed to make sure that I am not getting shafted with below average quality.

I figured that there was no better place to get an experienced opinion on these shoes than the enthusiast thread.

8. Eleganza

Eleganza Active Member

Shell purists, 'eh? Okay, LOL! I live in NYC, and I walk plenty.[​IMG] Creasing is going to happen, especially in these streets.
    I was just thinking of how can you actually walk without a shoe, any shoe, creasing at all. It seems physiologically impossible, unless you are sliding to and from work.[​IMG]

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Only you can determine how important it is - other posters have bought fewer Alden shoes because of these issues. I obviously like Alden a lot, but quality control / consistency from pair to pair is not the company's strong suit

10. Burton

Burton Senior member

I think you and I are saying exactly the same thing. My point above is that many here work really hard to prevent their shells from creasing. I agree with you, this seems to be at odds with what we know happens to shoes as you walk in them--but it doesn't stop people from trying.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Outstanding - I didn't submit a top 3, but these would likely be in mine

12. cero

cero Member

Well the comments from both you and Burton seem to indicate that it comes with the territory. I was not aware of the quality control issues but I am otherwise really excited about starting a shell collection.

13. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

I know this has been gone over a bunch of times, but I can't seem to find them on the thread. What are the rubbers that have the felt or fleece lining in them. I got my first pair(s) of shells this past year and need a new pair of outers. Thanks in advance.

14. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Thanks, I didn't submit a top 3 either. But if I could keep just 3, the list would be as follows:

1. #8 Indy boots
    2. Ravello LWB
    3. #8 NST loafer on the Grant (super comfortable for me)

I'd really miss the rest of the truckload of Aldens I own if I had to boil it down to only those few. But my lady wouldn't miss them taking up all the space in the house. Ha.

15. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Well said.

http://swims.com/

http://www.tingleyrubber.com/product/dress-rubber-overshoes.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.