• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

musica22

Reaction score
anyone knows which US store that ships Alden internationally? thanks.

Last edited:

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone knows which US store that ships Alden internationally? thanks.

I'm pretty sure most of the Alden stores ship internationally. Third parties tend to be the ones that don't.

musica22

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most of the Alden stores ship internationally. Third parties tend to be the ones that don't.
aldenshop charges $135 a pair for shipping
facepalm.gif

besides they only carry standard indy
cry.gif

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I wasn't actually insulted. I do understand where you're coming from, but disagree. I think most enthusiasts could easily tell the difference between a well polished, calf LWB and a well brushed and cared-for shell LWB, just as easily as a PTB comparison. While some may disagree with the appeal of shell, for me it's not the pronounced rolls one finds with chukkas. I prefer the more subtle yet distinctive shell creasing. I've seen some posts that suggest the really pronounced "beef rolls" one might find with chukkas are a product of poor sizing.

Also, I maybe wrong but I thought the similar calf offerings from C&J are (significantly) more expensive than Alden's calf. With Carmina's calf, I don't think you can find them cheaper than similar Alden models. But in both cases, you are correct as far as quality is concerned (that's why you're paying more). My first two Alden purchases were in calf and I wish I had gone straight to shell. I like my Alden calf, but I'm not sure they are priced appropriately at about $475-500 a piece. But I suppose if people buy them at that price, the market appropriately prices them.

Thanks for your time and happy holidays...

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey so I finally started my collection. I bought a pair of LWB #8 to start but I have examined them at home and it doesn't feel right. I took a few photos maybe you guys can tell me if I am being OCD or not.
1. There is a small scratch in the instep of the left shoe. 2. Some discoloration on the inside of the heels 3. There is a large bump or bend on the inner side of the left shoe. I imagine some polish might get the scratch out but what about that bump on the side? Could I fix that or is it just easier to exchange for another pair?
Shell might not be for you. Alden will drive you crazy if these items bother you.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey so I finally started my collection. I bought a pair of LWB #8 to start but I have examined them at home and it doesn't feel right. I took a few photos maybe you guys can tell me if I am being OCD or not. 1. There is a small scratch in the instep of the left shoe. 2. Some discoloration on the inside of the heels 3. There is a large bump or bend on the inner side of the left shoe. I imagine some polish might get the scratch out but what about that bump on the side? Could I fix that or is it just easier to exchange for another pair?
Small scratches on cordovan shoes are common; bumps are less common, but do happen. Color 8 longwings are common enough that you can probably exchange them for another pair if you wish in the size you bought. However, on rarer cordovan makeups, it will be less likely that you will be able to find a flawless pair. As mentioned before, these issues are common enough that if they bother you significantly, you will simply enjoy Alden less.

Eleganza

Reaction score
Wow, with all of this talk about beef rolls and other attractions to the Alden line, I feel out of the loop here!
laugh.gif
I simply like them because they fit well and look good! The really big deal is that they last a long time, looking better with age!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer the more subtle yet distinctive shell creasing.  I've seen some posts that suggest the really pronounced "beef rolls" one might find with chukkas are a product of poor sizing.

The roll issue is funny... My shoes with the most rolling (chukkas) get the most complements...

Coopa

Reaction score
Question: I just received my Indys from J.Crew and I noticed the stitching was undone in one area. Was wondering is this acceptable or will present a problem once I start wearing them? See the pic below.

Call j.crew and explain the problem. They will definitely just ship you out a replacement pair and comp the return shipping.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wasn't actually insulted. I do understand where you're coming from, but disagree. I think most enthusiasts could easily tell the difference between a well polished, calf LWB and a well brushed and cared-for shell LWB, just as easily as a PTB comparison. While some may disagree with the appeal of shell, for me it's not the pronounced rolls one finds with chukkas.
  I prefer the more subtle yet distinctive shell creasing.  I've seen some posts that suggest the really pronounced "beef rolls" one might find with chukkas are a product of poor sizing.

Also, I maybe wrong but I thought the similar calf offerings from C&J are (significantly) more expensive than Alden's calf.  With Carmina's calf, I don't think you can find them cheaper than similar Alden models.  But in both cases, you are correct as far as quality is concerned (that's why you're paying more).  My first two Alden purchases were in calf and I wish I had gone straight to shell.  I like my Alden calf, but I'm not sure they are priced appropriately at about $475-500 a piece.   But I suppose if people buy them at that price, the market appropriately prices them.

Thanks for your time and happy holidays...

It seems rare to see pictures of chukkas without significant rolls, at least compared to their equivalent in a shoe, the PTB. Yes, I have seen pictures of PTBs with significant rolls, but typically they seem less severe than on chukkas. Are chukkas on the barrie a little looser in the vamp than most barrie lasted shoes? I'm sure this has been discussed before.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems rare to see pictures of chukkas without significant rolls, at least compared to their equivalent in a shoe, the PTB. Yes, I have seen pictures of PTBs with significant rolls, but typically they seem less severe than on chukkas. Are chukkas on the barrie a little looser in the vamp than most barrie lasted shoes? I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I think it is more of matter of how the bend at the end of the vamp interacts with the rest of the front of shoe - the structure lends itself to more pronounced creasing when the shoes are made of cordovan. It also has to do with the characteristics of whatever piece of cordovan leather they use for the shoe. This is of course less of an issue with calf, suede or chromexcel. I don't think sizing is that much of an issue - my whiskey chukkas are 10D and my cigar are 9.5E, both have creasing.

The creasing (when the shoes are maintained with Mac method) tend to create more attention grabbing variations of shine, which makes them look attractive to a lot of wearers and onlookers. Others can't stand them. It's personal preference

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads