***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

2. DBate

DBate Member

Really nice pair of Indys. Looking for one of those for myself in my size, unfortunately haven't had any luck. I think I fell in love with cxl, constantly looking for new pairs [​IMG].

P.S. Like your Momos [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

I'll follow with a pic of Epaulet's version, hand-stitched:

[​IMG]

4. Dan G

Dan G Senior member

I'm looking for sites that carry boots on the Aberdeen, Hampton, Plaza and potentially the Grant Last. The more common Barrie and Trubalance do not work for me. I see the shoemart has a few options, can anyone else point out sites with stock? I'm guessing there might be a few collaborations out there. Thanks.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

As always, when looking for boots or shoes in a particular last, call the Alden stores (SF, NYC, DC) to see what they have. Alden NYC and Alden DC both stock captoe boots on the grant last (NYC has them in black and color 8, DC also has them in cigar)...

6. borderline

borderline Senior member

If you were only allowed to keep three pairs of Aldens, which would they be? Provide lists and/or photos. My choices:

1) #8 Longwing (975)
    2) Tan Suede unlined Chukka
    3) Snuff Suede unlined PTB

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

LWB - color 8
    PTB - cigar
    Cap toe boot - ravello

8. borderline

borderline Senior member

Wearing these today, and almost chose them over the snuff suede PTB.

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Has anyone bought cigar PTBs from Alden SF? Do they have light or dark edging?

10. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

got my Ravello LWB from Alden SF today... a few questionable markings on them, but whatever. they gave me a free thing of alden paste in "tan," i'll never use it, but a thoughtful touch.

11. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Senior member

definitely is a good touch, they give that stuff away with most purchases ( I think). When I bought a pair of boots there they gave me two pairs of extra laces, alden paste and a leather cleaning solution

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I use Alden tan on whiskey. I think mid-tan works a bit better for Ravello...

Alden SF included color 8 paste wax with my color 8 boots

Alden DC is the king of goodies, though. I have received an extra pair of laces with each order. In addition, I have received a plastic shoe horn, paste wax, and Leather Defender with various orders.

13. rpmfg

rpmfg New Member

I posted here a couple weeks ago asking whether anyone knew a good cobbler to restore my Alden for Brooks Brothers cordovan plain toe bluchers that I got a thrift store for $4, and was asked to report back... so here goes!

I researched the Alden factory and various stores all of which offer restoration for $160 with free shipping.. but I couldn't get clear answers from most of them when I emailed them photos of what I needed done. Someone recommended B. Nelson in New York as well, which looked less expensive, but I couldn't get a response from them either. I really wanted advice on whether it was worth it, whether they would last long enough, etc. Someone recommended Cobblers Corner in Northville which is on my way to work in Detroit, so I checked them out, expecting them to decline the work or that I wouldn't feel comfortable with them.

Anyway, the cobbler was very helpful and assured me that he could do a good job and that it was worth the price over a new pair. He clearly explained what he would do (rebuild up the heels, cork beds, replace leather on the inside to repair the heel counters, resole with JR leather soles, etc.) and offered me the option of getting cheaper vibram soles, which I declined. I also requested that he not polish the uppers because I wanted the patina preserved and didn't think they would ever make good glossy dress shoes, and I didn't really want that anyway. He was happy to oblige, but also disappointed because he thought he could do a great job polishing them.

Here's how they look now:
    [​IMG]

And the gallery with more photos and the before shots lower down on the page is here: http://www.rpmfg.org/images/blucher/index.html

I'm really happy. Final price was about $140 for everything, including new laces but not new shoe trees or bags. Worth the price for me to get to talk to the person doing the work and be sure of what they're doing.

Still wondering if anyone can date them from the markings (reproduced below). Alden of SF says a year ending in 7 like 1997 or 1987, possibly older. The metal ferules on the inside are heavily worn away from the laces so I think rather old. Does anyone at least know when Alden started making shoes for Brooks Brothers?

Markings:
    7 ½D 7H24 029
    A765

Cheers and thanks,
    Ryan

14. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

1. 9901 (Black Shell Plain Toe Blucher)
    2. 975 (#8 Shell LWB)
    3. 986 (#8 Shell LHS)

15. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Total irrelevant hypothetical, but I'll play along...

From my collection, I would keep:

1. Color 8 PTB
    2. Ravello LWB
    3. Color 4 Captoe Boot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.